Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With white smoke coming out of the valve covers as well as out of tailpipes at part throttle, I'm pretty sure that the quart every week and a half I'm missing is getting burned in the combustion chamber. I pulled the blower's discharbe tube, and it was oil-free(I'm wishing otherwise at this point).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Though blow-by would be my primary suspect, the short-block was built by a very reputable shop and I don't see how it would be having problems after only 3000 miles. What are the other possibilities that would allow a motor to consume oil? My first though would be the valve guides and I recently heard that it was an issue with the early FRPP heads. Anyone here have any experience with that? If so is there an "easy" way to verify that it is or isn't the valve guides?

·
Registered
254 Posts
i could have sworn white smoke was COOLANT.

It might not be your shortblock, you might haver bad valve seals in yoru heads.

Do a compression test, then do a LEAK DOWN test... THEN call up your builder and let him know of your diagnosis and problems.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yellow5.0cobra said:
i could have sworn white smoke was COOLANT.
I am burning a quart of oil every two weeks. I wish it was just coolant.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well I have heard of this before.The rings fail to open up and never seat.Maybe this happened to you.I think this happens when the are not fitted and gapped right to the piston.

·
Registered
331 Posts
dude that is not good...I purchased one of those motors too on that same GP...I've only started mine and ran it thru a couple heat up cycles so i cant speak to the issue of oil consumption to give you a comparison...but I will be very interested to hear what Jason tells you.
btw...are you the one that had them different looking pistons?
Best of luck
GI Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GI Joe said:
btw...are you the one that had them different looking pistons?
Best of luck
GI Joe
Yeah, mine were made before the design change. At this point I'm more inclined to think it's either a head gasket or one or more of the valve guides. The shortblock is suspect as well, but alot less likely.

·
Registered
254 Posts
did you do th COMPRESSION/LEAKDOWN TEST?

YOu will be more able to pin point your problem better doing those 2 simple tests.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You might want to call the builder before you do anything. If your not running a PCV system your going to be pushing oil out the valve covers including white smoke. I'd call them first and see what they suggest.

Bill

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GreenMonster'96 said:
...had to have the machine shop make some new ones, not that expensive.
On a daily driver nothing is inexpensive or easy. I've definitley learned a myriad of lessons with this car.

Number one: Have a beater!

·
Registered
331 Posts
playahata said:
On a daily driver nothing is inexpensive or easy. I've definitley learned a myriad of lessons with this car.

Number one: Have a beater!
hehe thats so true...i thought it was going to take TEA 2 weeks to do my heads...turned out to be 7 weeks:mad:
I'm still on blocks........
Did you find out the problem yet? Did you do the compression check?
Seems like if it was the head gasket you would have some other problems too.... like running hot or oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil....something? Also seems like if it were guides it would do it mostly only when it starts up...after sitting a while...does it smoke when you kick it?
I'm leaning toward a ring not seating or the PCV system...
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts