Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read that some people have to hammer their longtubes to make them clear certain items such as K-Member or firewall. Is this an accurate statement? I wouldnt want to but a nice shiny set of longtubes and have to hammer a flat spot in a tube! Who here has a set on their 96-98 Cobra and have no clearance issues?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have had absolutely no issues with mine, but then again according to everyone on here my car shouldnt even run as I have Macs. fit was great, no oil prob's, no smoking, no nothing. great sound and felt a big gain!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shel,

The BBK's have a built in flat spot on the drivers side header.. some people assume this is a hammered solution, but in fact the factor ships them like this to clear the steering shaft.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had to give my bbks a shot or two with a mallet to clear the k-member where it bolts to the car near the firewall. It didnt hit bad just enough so it rattled once in a while.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sshel-B,

I bought a used set of SHM long tubes and used a BFH in order to make it "fit" with a Griggs' K-member. One of the primary tubes was hitting the new K-member. In retrospect, that probably wasn't the best way to go. Half-way during the header/K-member install, Bruce Griggs mentioned to me that he didn't think that SHM longtubes would fit with his K-member. He was correct.

I ended up buying a set of Kooks headers designed by Griggs to fit their K-member- a much better solution than using a BFH. I don't think you should have too much trouble with most of the headers and a stock K-member. I hope this helps.

waldo

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I had to heat and dimple the long tubes for clearance at the steering shaft and use a couple of washers under the left side motor mount to get clearance. Mine looked like BBK dimpled the wrong tube. Its been this way now for two years.

Joe

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My Hookers hit the D&D kmember to the point where they knock back and forth when the car idles. I'm going to have to hammer them this year.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
no clearance issues here with my Hookers...do have nice leak where the drivers side primaries slip into the collector though...I should have that fixed shortly though...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
0 clearance issues here with BBK

peace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts