Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you really think a solid roller is worth that much more power? do you think the gains just came from how much bigger it was? i figured it would be worth some power, but it basically just crushed the hydro roller all over the curve.

another question for you N/A guys..... i see alot of you guys run cams that are 230+ in the intake and still have decent low end performance. i ran a 230-236 544-555 114 and it was a sled under 4k. swapped to a 274HR and picked up all over, even with less boost. is this because of haveing more cubes? mabie my 114 couldnt scavenge enough to make it torquey on the bottom?

thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
basiclly a solid roller allows for more agressive ramp rates and higher spring pressure to work with big lift and duration numbers. since the lifters do not collapse at all valve timing is more accurate and stable up top

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello

hello, if you were to go with one of the solid roller street grinds, how long will the lifters last on a daily driver?,thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think its a matter of the lifters lasting. But I do think adjusting your valvetrain on a regular basis might be a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
its not that hard to get that more aggressive than a hyd lifter roller or flat. even the flat tappet solid lobe can run circles around a hyd roller. A solid roller is not the only alternative to better a hyd roller. however the flat tappets due have their problems. break-in, especially with the more adventuresome lobe designs is kind of iffy.

Buddy Rawls
www.wighat.com/fcr3

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buddy rawls said:
its not that hard to get that more aggressive than a hyd lifter roller or flat. even the flat tappet solid lobe can run circles around a hyd roller. A solid roller is not the only alternative to better a hyd roller. however the flat tappets due have their problems. break-in, especially with the more adventuresome lobe designs is kind of iffy.

Buddy Rawls
www.wighat.com/fcr3

so the big advantage is more agressive ramps? and i guess the hgh spring pressures allow it to rev without floating. i just wasnt sure if the 50+ hp gain i read was real. hard to beleive a cam is worth that wuch when the already has a decent looking one in there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
GM Killer said:
I don't think its a matter of the lifters lasting. But I do think adjusting your valvetrain on a regular basis might be a pain in the a$$
what kind of adjusting would be required??

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
freezy74 said:

so the big advantage is more agressive ramps? and i guess the hgh spring pressures allow it to rev without floating. i just wasnt sure if the 50+ hp gain i read was real. hard to beleive a cam is worth that wuch when the already has a decent looking one in there.
I scanned through that article last night. I seem to recall that the solid cam had quite a bit more lift than the hydraulic one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
are you sure? The way I understood it, you only need to adjust about every 5-7k miles or so. Solid ROLLER doesn't wear like a solid TAPPET would...right? I have a hard time believing it would be as often as "twice a month".

-Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a solid roller in my 393, and it made a HUGE difference over my soild flat tappet i had in it before. Much smoother all over the place.

As far as the adjusting... I personally think it has a lot to do with what pushrods you are using... With the very fast ramp rates it is VERY important to get really good pushrods. The constant slamming (although small due to the lash) is really hard on them, and can cause them to wear or flex and bend. (I am running one piece Comp Cams)

I only have about a thousand miles on mine now...and can tell already that the adjustments are going to be fewer than with the flat tappets.

matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes the solid roller makes more power under the curve becuase of more aggressive ramp rates.

You will have to adjust the lash often. If it is a daily driver I would adjust them at least once a week until you notice that they aren't losing there settings. them move to a longer period between checking your lash. Pushrods won't have anything to do with how often you need to check your lash. It is more of an issue of how well your polylocks stay put. If you use a stud girdle(valvetrain kind, not main caps kind) it will help you in keeping the lash settings.

With the wide availability of rollers both Hyd and solid, I wouldn't touch another flat tappet cam as long as I live.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts