Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my cam, idle vacuum is about 10"-11", which makes stopping quickly difficult when braking hard. It's my understanding that a Hydro Boost system replaces the brake vacuum booster and uses the power steering pump as the boost assist.

Looking for some input from those who have had the same issue and what you've done to improve braking as well as those who have installed a hydro boost system.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Have you tried raising your idle (with programming)? That may be the easiest solution.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any idea on the cost?

I don't remember what I paid for it. I purchased one a few years ago. Ask for Paul, he will set you up. Or you could get a hydroboost setup from a newer cobra(factory equipment) and plum it in yourself.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried raising your idle (with programming)? That may be the easiest solution.....
Raising the idle didn't help. The issue is at idle or near idle conditions where one needs to stop within a single rotation of the tire. Braking from speed is not usually a problem as vacuum is initially very high. It's the last 20' that surprises you.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Resurrecting this thread now that I'm driving the car again. I've just purchased a set of Mach1 brake calipers, pads and brackets and 13" rotors to see if this will help the stopping issue in part caused by lower than normal vacuum. I've also purchased a used hydro boost system from a 96+ mustang in case the caliper upgrade by itself doesn't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=150450734554&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D150450734554%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

Question about the Hydro boost plumbing. Does anyone know if the PS line is just routed through the Hydro Boost and back again? I haven't got the unit yet but there appears to be in and out lines.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to get pics today of the wife's 96 plumbing.. it's in the car but the motor isn't :)

Why not just use a vacuum reservoir? People have done that for years...
Just got an email this morning from the seller telling me he noticed that the body was cracked where the fittings are threaded so I may not need the pics. I have thought about the reservoir but it's not clear to me if that would help. I don't believe I'm depleting my vacuum supply but rather the low vacuum (10 inHg) hinders the braking function. A separate electric vacuum pump is an alternative that I haven't explored. That would give me vacuum in the 20 - 25 inHg range.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Richard,

Basically the pressure outlet of the power steering pump, goes through the hydroboost unit and then to the steering rack. For a detailed description of why see the thread linked below. My explanation of the system starts at post #13:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42729&highlight=hydroboost

I believe that some Volvos use an electric vacuum pump for the brakes. That will be the easiest, sure fire way to fix your problem.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Richard,

Basically the pressure outlet of the power steering pump, goes through the hydroboost unit and then to the steering rack. For a detailed description of why see the thread linked below. My explanation of the system starts at post #13:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42729&highlight=hydroboost

I believe that some Volvos use an electric vacuum pump for the brakes. That will be the easiest, sure fire way to fix your problem.
Thanks for the link. I'm leaning towards the vacuum pump but first I'm going to install 13" rotors with Mach1 2 cylinder calipers to see if that gives me the needed stopping power. If that doesn't work I'll source a vacuum pump. Like you said, that would be the easiest way.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am resurrecting this thread.......again as I am finding (via google) that the 94/95 accepts this upgrade/swap pretty dang well. I just really have come to trust you guys on here rather than others out there. Yeah I'm bias.

I was wanting some input from you guys.

Would a late model donor parts swap be best/easiest/cheapest over getting an aftermarket or visa versa?

What are the pros/cons of either?

Is Hydratech still the best a person can get, or does anyone suggest something else?

Thank yah gentlemen

J

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never did install the hydro boost. The problem persisted after the caliper and rotor upgrade. Problem was with the booster diaphragm. Became very evident when it failed completely. I also changed the master cylinder to the Cobra piece as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I never did install the hydro boost. The problem persisted after the caliper and rotor upgrade. Problem was with the booster diaphragm. Became very evident when it failed completely. I also changed the master cylinder to the Cobra piece as well.
Well doodee. Yah know anyone who has my good friend?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.