Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note....I am not considering switching cam design just for a different idle note.

I have never heard “in person” an engine swapping hyd to solid of the same cam specs and hearing what the difference would be if any. So....Short and sweet....does a hyd roller & solid roller with fairly identical specs have NOTICEABLY different idle characteristics sound wise?

I do know about the difference in ramp rates and lobe design between the two, but am no means a cam guru.

For example:
I use an Anderson Hyd Roller (248/258 @50 576/576 lift 110 LSA)
If I were to switch to a solid at say 252/262 @50 595/595 lift 110 LSA, compensating for lash and profile design difference would be near identical (in those 3 specs anyways) disconsidering timing event difference between the hyd and solid, would there be a noticeable difference in idle sound? Such as one being more dull or muffled and the other more poppy and pounding. It’s hard to describe sounds in words but those of you who know what I’m talking about know.

Please keep in mind I am not considering swapping cams just for hopefully a different idle sound ! This is curiosity.
I have a buyer for my cam and valve springs and wouldn’t even cost me much to switch to solid.
If I do I’m hoping it will mabey pick up a tad through the curve and hold power at top rpm longer even though I would spec one out same as my current hyd. (Don’t think these cheapie SCAT I-Beams should go 8500) I’ve had ZERO issues with my hydraulic at 8000, no valve float or failure, UBER reliable, but I’m on a mission to get everything I can from this 302 before I retire it after 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Most certainly solid rollers are more noisy at idle than hydraulic roller. Both my cars are billet core hydraulic roller cams with solid roller lifters. .014 valve lash on both one is a blown 306 other N/A 308. Both have a "wishy washy" sound to give the sound a name at idle lol. My stock hydraulic cam and hydraulic lifter engine was so quiet at idle under the hood. But I don't mind. Both make good power and honestly I just don't like hydraulic roller lifters.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,220 Posts
I like the sound of fast. Solid rollers aren’t that noisy in a tight lash application.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,220 Posts
Oddly I was just having the same discussion on my new build. What does the valve train currently consist of? I know we have spoke before but I can’t remember. There comes a point where you’re trying to survive or you build it to thrive.

Personally, I’m leaning towards thrive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts