Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a fairly loud humming sound coming from the area of the fuel fill (passenger side of fuel tank). I haven't noticed any driveability problems (no hesitation, etc), but the sound is definitely weird. I crawled under the car while it was idling and the humming was pretty loud there on the passenger side. Is this my fuel pump going bad? If not, what else can it be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine has done it for years. I havent had any problems. I have noticed on many other Ford vehicles that the Fuel fuel pumps are very loud.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. This is definitely a "new" sound to me, and I'm the original owner. It's similar to the sound of the fuel pump priming when you first turn the ignition without starting the car, but it's *continuous* as long as the car is on.

·
Registered
818 Posts
mine make the same loud noise. Can hear it at idle pretty good while in the drivers seat. You know it's the fuel pump if it starts when the key is turned to the on position.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The humming is the fuel pump. Very common for our cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How difficult is it to replace this seal?

I suppose it could be I never noticed it before, but I swear there are times when it's loud, and times when it's not. Intermittent. Maybe I need to get my ears checked.:eek:

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts