Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 days at Thunderbolt Raceway and 2 at VIR - a few observations.
The Mustang GT with PP1 is a fantastic track car. I did these HPDE days in a totally stock car. Only thing changed was putting 5-30 oil in per manual. No problem with rear( never exceeded 240), no brake fade (stock pads and fluid). Car ran strong all day and was comfortable for the 6 hr drive back from VIR. Granted I'm not the fastest on track but I did see 145 on the back straight at VIR and 110 in the climbing esses. Can't wait for next season.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
What year GT? Have you tracked other cars before?

I still haven't gotten up to NJMP to run either track. Maybe in 2020. I do love me some VIR, though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2019 GT 6spd. Tracked a 2004 Mazda RX-8 and 2004 Honda 2000. That was years ago. The Mustang is a whole different beast. Much more fun. VIR was fun but too far. I'll probably do more Thunderbolt next season as its only an hour away.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is on my list of things I want to do! Keep us up to date. Maybe vids and info on how novices can get out there.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
2019 GT 6spd. Tracked a 2004 Mazda RX-8 and 2004 Honda 2000. That was years ago. The Mustang is a whole different beast. Much more fun. VIR was fun but too far. I'll probably do more Thunderbolt next season as its only an hour away.
As you may already know, there are a couple of other options in WV and VA that are closer to you than VIR. Not as close as NJMP, but still...

There's Summit Point in WV, which has 3 different tracks - Summit Point main, Shenandoah Circuit, and Jefferson Circuit. I've never run Jefferson. Shenandoah is OK, but is a tight, lower speed course. The main course would be more fun in the Mustang - nice front straight, a few good high speed turns, and a tighter, more technical section. I've run Summit Point main a number of times and really like it.
(pardon the crappy audio quality, was trying out a different mic setup)

And then there's Dominion Raceway, right off 95 between DC and Richmond. Another track with a good mix of speed and technical bits. It does have some issue - specifically, lack of run-off room - but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is on my list of things I want to do! Keep us up to date. Maybe vids and info on how novices can get out there.
The best way to get track time is going out with one of many track groups. SCDA is a really good group.Track Daze is another. One of my best experiences was with the AUDI CLUB. Great instructors and plenty of track time. For novices all you really need is to change out brake fluid, a good set of tires. It will be awhile before you need more. I did my track time this year with a totally stock 2019 GT with the PP1 and am not even close to its potential. Looking forward to going out with SCDA in June at Thunderbolt!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The best way to get track time is going out with one of many track groups. SCDA is a really good group.Track Daze is another. One of my best experiences was with the AUDI CLUB. Great instructors and plenty of track time. For novices all you really need is to change out brake fluid, a good set of tires. It will be awhile before you need more. I did my track time this year with a totally stock 2019 GT with the PP1 and am not even close to its potential. Looking forward to going out with SCDA in June at Thunderbolt!
Thanks! I am gonna start looking into it! I still have a little to sort out on my car but I’ll get there!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
As you may already know, there are a couple of other options in WV and VA that are closer to you than VIR. Not as close as NJMP, but still...

There's Summit Point in WV, which has 3 different tracks - Summit Point main, Shenandoah Circuit, and Jefferson Circuit. I've never run Jefferson. Shenandoah is OK, but is a tight, lower speed course. The main course would be more fun in the Mustang - nice front straight, a few good high speed turns, and a tighter, more technical section. I've run Summit Point main a number of times and really like it.
(pardon the crappy audio quality, was trying out a different mic setup)

And then there's Dominion Raceway, right off 95 between DC and Richmond. Another track with a good mix of speed and technical bits. It does have some issue - specifically, lack of run-off room - but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other folks.
Agree with Patrick. I've run all three at the Point. Like the bridge to the Karussel at Shenandoah, and the technical aspect of Jefferson. But Main has the longest straight if top speed is the goal. Dominion is fun. The lefthander at the bridge to the straight was hard for me to get right. From March through October the SCCA runs HPDEs at both venues and Track Nights at venues in PA, NJ, as well as the other two mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts