Ford Mustang Forums banner

How would you build a 500 rwhp 347?

5K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeff88coupe 
#1 ·
Well that's about it, nothing else to say :)

Well, one more thing....how bout on pump gas compression?

;)

#2 ·
Well...

If you make no compromises except for being able to run on pump gas...yes..I think it can be done n/a. My streetable setup made alot of compromises due to various reasons. For a efi setup....R or dart block, forged crank, good rods, light forged pistons, good flowing heads..like afr 225's, tfs-r's, ported vic jr's, ect., ported tfs-r lower with a reitech box upper, pretty big solid roller cam that will make power to 7500rpm+, good long tube headers ..at least 1 3/4", 3" x pipe, 3" dumps, 42# inj, 75mm tb, 80mm MAS, electric water pump.....that should get it done. My combo put 420hp/400tq to the rear wheels with the hp curve peaking at 6400.

#3 ·
Thanks Jeff. Your combo is really nice, and I think with bigger heads, intake, possably cam and more rpm, it'd be close to 500 rwhp. I'm not asking for a daily driver with this motor, just for as stout a 347 I can get on pump gas and with some level of streetability. Really the only thing I can see other than compression that would make it somewhat unstreetable would be a cam that is too aggressive. I hear those types of cams can wear down valvetrain parts really quick. I don't mind adjusting valves every so often, but I wouldn't want to replace parts often.
This would be a carb setup, I know that for sure. I got a set of fully ported Brodix T1's with a N exhaust port. Not sure if they would do the job or not. I guess I'd run a Super Vic intake and some big rpms. Got a glide now, but it'd be better suited with a Tremec or T56 ;)

#4 ·
Hey Bobo..
Well, I guess I would start out with a Roller block, then stuff it with an Eagle steel crank with JE dished pistons, H-Beams, and a Probe Main support, then slide in an Anderson B4 cam with TFS 1.7RR's, use an Australian Muscle Parts Lightweight Billet timing set, top it off with a set of Victor JR Heads, and a Systemax intake/75mm TB and use a ProM 80mm MAF and 50lb injectors. Moving on to the exhaust, I would bolt up a set of BBK 1 3/4" Long tubes with the requisite H-Pipe and use a set of Dynomax Ultra-Flo welded mufflers and turndowns. Ignition would have to be an MSD Billet Distributor, 6AL, BTM, and a 2-Step, with an Extender piggybacked onto the A9L computer. As far as the fuel system goes, I guess a 15 gallan fuel cell, and an Aeromotive pump with pump controller would be in the rear, with -10 line to the front and split at the Y-block to -8 to each rail, and of course use Aeromotive rails.

Oh..and did I mention the Renegade YS Trim blower......:evil:

WAIT!!! I'm already doing this....I guess the next time it'll have to be a turbo......I've already got an R302 block for that....:evilgrin:

#5 ·
Well I've already made decent power with boost. It'd be nice to have the whine of a YS or the spool of a turbo again, but this time I wanna try a n/a route. I don't think I've seen any 500 rwhp n/a 347's, but I'm looking :idunno:

#6 ·
We have a setup pretty close to 500 RWHP. Car went 10.31@131, race weight 3000 on the money. Early 302 block, forged Probe internals, Edelbrock RPM's,Vic. Jr. intake,.650 lift custom solid roller cam, 850 Race Demon, 1 3/4" Hooker super Comps,Comp C4, 4500 stall, 4.88's, shifting at 7500, 1.48 60's.

#7 ·
take one standard bore boss 302 block, get some 8.5:1 compression 4.020 JEs, a scat forged steel 3.400" crank and scat forged steel 5.4" h beam rods, tfs tw heads w/ a little port work, an AFM B4 cam, a downs box upper and ported gt40 lower, 1 5/8" longtubes and them mix w/ 10lbs of boost from a 3 core intercooled procharger D1. at least thats my recipe :D

should make 525rwhp on pump gas. last time we had a ****tier cam, same intake, a 8.5:1 331, same heads, and an 8lb s trim w/ no cooler. it made 530rwhp and went 10.70s@131.

#8 ·
take one standard bore boss 302 block, get some 8.5:1 compression 4.020 JEs, a scat forged steel 3.400" crank and scat forged steel 5.4" h beam rods, tfs tw heads w/ a little port work, an AFM B4 cam, a downs box upper and ported gt40 lower, 1 5/8" longtubes and them mix w/ 10lbs of boost from a 3 core intercooled procharger D1. at least thats my recipe :D

should make 525rwhp on pump gas. last time we had a ****tier cam, same intake, A4 block, a 8.5:1 331, same heads, and an 8lb s trim w/ no cooler. it made 530rwhp and went 10.70s@131.

#9 ·
Not that I have anything against a 347, but I wouldn't even try that build because it's so expensive to do. With a power adder, it's not so bad, but you'll want the good internals, just the same, so it's right back the high cost. By contrast, you can build a completely streetable 408 and make 500+rwhp N/A without breaking the bank. Initially, they are pricey(about 10K with all new parts), but it should last with a build like that. 500rwhp with an N/A 347 just won't be very streetable due the the cam and compression requirements. Just my .02

#11 ·
clement said:

should make 525rwhp on pump gas. last time we had a ****tier cam, same intake, a 8.5:1 331, same heads, and an 8lb s trim w/ no cooler. it made 530rwhp and went 10.70s@131.
Sounds to weak for me, you sissy :lol: I'm thinking 500 rwhp on motor and then another 300 or 400 on the naws :evilgrin: muhahahahahaha

Doesn't have to be right at 500rwhp though, if it has enough power to run 10's on motor that would be fine. It should be able to, my friends pump gas 337 does with heads that are close to what I have now and only turning 7000. Only, hehehehehe :evilgrin:

I'll still have my dished JE's on the shelf if I need to call in the boost cavalry ;)

#15 · (Edited)
Id build a very well mannered 347 stroker street engine, and put on twin turbos...

Looks like you already have the turbos figured out though :rolleyes:

#16 ·
TireSmoke said:
Looks like you already have the turbos figured out though :rolleyes:
Yeah I do. I figured out that when have a $2500 turbo fail, you have a $2500 turbo fail. That's why I'm thinking seriously of a cheaper carb setup over the efi/turbo route.

The only reason I say 347 is because I already have a R302 block and rods. Starting over and going to a 351 based motor will just cost more. I may have to keep my heads for $$$ reasons.

#17 ·
You have the block? Consider a trade with someone who has a 351W block. A351's are less expensive, but will handle the power you're looking for and be much more tame for the street. It won't cost more when you look at engine life IMO. You're thing, but this is gonna be hard to do w/o a power adder.

#18 ·
AnuttrFordguy said:
You have the block? Consider a trade with someone who has a 351W block. A351's are less expensive, but will handle the power you're looking for and be much more tame for the street. It won't cost more when you look at engine life IMO. You're thing, but this is gonna be hard to do w/o a power adder.
He has a fuggin R302 block!!!! How much more do you need to handle 500HP!!!!!:lol:

Ill take a R302 block (which can handle twice that amount of power) over some puny 351W block ANYDAY.

#19 ·
TireSmoke said:
He has a fuggin R302 block!!!! How much more do you need to handle 500HP!!!!!:lol:

Ill take a R302 block (which can handle twice that amount of power) over some puny 351W block ANYDAY.
You completely missed the point of what I was saying.

R302's have siamese bores, not well received in a daily driven application, but the block does weigh 40 lbs. LESS than an A351 and both have nodular iron main caps. Both are wet sump, but the R302 can be made a dry sump. The R302 has 4bolt main caps on 2,3 and 4 and can be bored/stroked to a max. of 363c.i. while the A351 only has 2 bolt caps, it still has a higher c.i. capacity(427 but 408 would be suggested by most), which will allow for say "500hp" with lower compression and a smaller cam, making it more "streetable" and that's the goal in mind. The latest ratings say the R302 can handle 500more hp, but that's probably off and certainly not an issue here, considering his own gaol of 500rwhp. The point is, either block can handle the power he wants, but more cubes allows more power with a more streetable build. Torque will also be greater with the bigger block.

#20 ·
Well,

Why limit it to 347?

Dart block
4.100-4.125 bore
3.400 stroke
5.400 rod
AFR 225 heads
Tight lash solid roller
Vic intake
850 Biggs on top
1-7/8 Kooks geetin' it out.

Ready with the checkbook?

Sound familiar Mr Stettin?

ED
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I was thinking... Why even limit it to a 8.200 block??

OK you two. :evil:

Brian, I called you yesterday and left a message on your phone. Please check it and let me know what you think.

Ed, I will have the assembly paid for by the end of February and then the money will start coming your way for the heads, intake, cam, throttle body, ect. The combination is going to be what we talked about the last time I called you. I want to use the 205's though. Brian has got the custom pistons for the 205's. I need to know what compression to run? Pump gas remember. Thanks.

Ed Stettin

#21 ·
AnuttrFordguy said:
Well I have considered that, but I may want to make more power later on and this would be a good block to do it with. I'd probably put some nitrous on this motor just to get it making the type of power I had it making before, around 750. I've seen 2 bolt 351's do that kinda power, but I kinda don't wanna risk it. Believe me, I love the 351 idea, and it may still happen, but I want to explore the 302 based options totally before I make any decisions ;)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

#22 ·
Wanted to throw my 2cents in.

On the LS1 side, there is a combo where they are making just over 460rwhp/420rwtq, using a hydraulic roller camshaft.

Horsepower Over 450rwhp from 5600rpm to shut down ~6600
Torque over 400 from 4300rpm to 6100 rpm.

Just need to add 40rwhp to that to make the 500rwhp mark. They key is to make LOTS of TQ at high rpm. Solid rollers,
higher compression would give you a shot at doing this. From the LS1 results, I'd say 500rwhp 347 could be made @ 7000 rpm.

A 408 would obviously make the goal easier, but with that and the crop of heads for fords, might as well shoot for a streetable 550rwhp/490+rwtq out of 408-422 cubic inches.

#23 ·
Bobo said:
The only reason I say 347 is because I already have a R302 block and rods. Starting over and going to a 351 based motor will just cost more. I may have to keep my heads for $$$ reasons.
this coming from the mouth of a big rock star like yourself. :p

hey, since your in a band, do me a favor. hook me up w/ the lead singer of 'the donnas'. i think her name is Donna. :D

#26 · (Edited)
The drummer is kinda a hottie... The others are so so... Not horrible, but certainly nothin' ta write home about. Hell, I wouldn't likely admit to bangin' the "bassist" ... Or whatever she's playing that doesn't look like a six string. She's been watching too many AC/DC videos for me! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.