Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a search and came up with one post that had a diagram, but it showed as a red "x" on my screen, so i couldnt see it. anyway, how do i tie in the timing retard controller? the directions seem weird since they have you look at a GM wiring diagram for the btm, where the wires are different colors. the timing retard knob wires are green and ourple, how do i connect these? thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
According to the instructions that I have in the addendum, it says it does not matter which wire goes which hole. In case you don't have it, here is the msd link. Instructions have a button.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Try this again. http://www.msdignition.com/

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks but i have those instructions. to me they dont clearly say how to hook up the control knob for the boost retard, if at all. it says for a timing control, to refer to the GM instructions with harness. where it says something about a yellow wire, and the knob only has a pruple and a green wire. they look like they would hook up to the magnetic pickup wires which are the same color, but it seems they dont go there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i think the problem is that i bought this used.....and i basically got a POS msd6-btm unit that i was told was in new condition(you know who you are :rolleyes: )with a bunch of short wires, and the timing control knob had been cut from the unit. i guess im going to have to figure out which of the knobs purple and green wires goto these black and grey wires on the box. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The wires off of the control knob go to the MSD box itself, not a pick up coil. If you look on one end of the BTM there is a brass spigot. There should be two plugs, the one with round external/exposed plugs and a clip is where the BTM Control plugs into. The other one is a mag connector, not used in your application. Hope this all helps.

If you need a pic let me know and send me your email, I will get you one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, ya the one side with the mag connector has 2 wires. one black, 1 grey. but the knob has 2 wires that are green and purple in color, so im going to call msd so they can tell me which ones go where.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.