Ford Mustang Forums banner

How to use Binary Editor

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Shaker666 
#1 ·
Where can I find instructions on how to use BE? I just got it and a QH, and I have no clue how to use it. I've figured how to make some changes to a tune, but can't seem to apply them. If that makes sense. Like I set the rev limiter to 900, and update it and write the tune, load it and it still keeps reving. But it says the rev limiter is set to 900 rpm.

I have done a lot o looking and I can't find any beginer level info on this.

THANKS!

#4 ·
I've concluded the rev limiter doesn't work. I tried making other changes and those all work fine. They save, they make the change I command, the tune stays there. I think I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use a function that doesn't work.

#5 ·
A little late to the party, but are you sure your changing the correct parameter?

It's been a while since I messed with my tune in BE, but I believe one parameter is the RPM which the fuel pump shuts off and the 2nd one is the RPM which it turns back on after it has hit the limit.

I have a Tweecer and use BE for my tune. One of the tunes I have is a short start where it'll start, but I have the RPM value set to something like 1000rpm, so as soon as it starts, the fuel pump shuts off. It's a way for me to theoretically hear someone try to start the car, but it won't stay running. So, I know it works with my setup and I would think it would work with the quarter horse as well.

#6 ·
There is a parameter called "rev limit" (or something close) in a foxbody ecm (gufb strategy) that isn't the rev limiter for the engine. The actual rev limiter has an obscure name and is buried somewhere, because Ford was worried about it or some such nonsense.

That's whatbinwas told.

#9 ·
It's a steep learning curve, brother. Especially if you don't use it everyday.
That's the part that kills me - I just don't spend enough time fiddling with the Mustang, so every time I decide I'm going to try working on the tune I have to re-educate myself on how to do everything. :shakehead

#10 ·
Yes. Me? I haven't touched mine in prob. 2 years now, and I have to get in shortly to change fueling and spark tables. Decipha helps me with mine, but still.

BE, is NOT like riding a bike.

#11 ·
Late here but, I've had the QH with BE on my fairlane for a few months now. I've been thru Lasota's book and have messed with the tunes myself a little. It's hard enough to get the parameters you want on the dashboard to log, let alone tune. Relearning the stuff is no simple phrase. You have to do this stuff more than just once in a while!! Sucks!

When you make changes,(like the rev limiter) do you have the green connected lights on in the lower right side of the screen? I tried to make changes and it did not have connection because I didn't have a driver I needed installed. I made changes on the screen and it would not do anything. Once I went to Moates site and followed their instructions to getting started (pretty boring and monotonous) I just hooked up instantly. I thought I had it all covered but it seems a simple driver was not there.

It seems you should be connected by your "write the tune" comment but you never know.

Good luck guys. I'm learning it myself. Try to take a 94 4V with IMRC deletes and get it to tune around that without the ability to just turn off the plates. Timing is a pain with these setups.

Dave

#12 ·
You need a good definition for the EEC computer you're tuning on. The GUFB definition is fairly well established and free, but most of the other definitions have to be purchased. Once you've got that you can change pretty much anything in the tune, including your rev limiter. What definition are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.