Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you wish to raise the boost level above the stock 14 psi, you'll have to bypass the factory solenoid and run an aftermarket manual or electronic boost controller. I wouldn't bump it up more than 2-3 psi without installing a larger fuel pump to prevent a lean condition.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
14 is stock im only making about 8 is there i can do to get it up around 10 or 12 i heard a cold air would raise it i didnt no if you could do anything else

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you have the fuel switch in the premium position and you're only getting 8-10 lbs of boost, then there is likely a problem with the boost control solenoid. If you are careful, you can pull the reference line off of the wastegate and see if the boost will increase past 10 psi. Be warned that without the reference line connected that you will have NO boost control whatsoever.

A cold air intake won't increase boost, it is regulated purely by the wastegate. You may have confused that with making the turbo spool faster. Removing exhaust restrictions, such as porting the exhaust manifold, adding a 3 inch downpipe sans catalytic converter and installing a free flowing muffler (stay away from chambered mufflers like Dronemasters!) can help bring in the boost at lower RPMs. You will probably find that the IHI turbo currently in the car spools rather quickly anyway.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks a lot i was making 8-10 with the premium switch off i havent tried it with the switch on so ill try that and see how it but thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
go on to www.boostvalve.com and get a manual boost controller , then turn it all the way up .... well at least thats what i did , then my clutch went

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
mfpmax said:
And thats how you blow up head gaskets.
knock on wood maybe im lucky , but so far so good been like that over a month .......... now time to ditch the IHI

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was looking into getting one of those boostvalves but im not going to turn it all the way up i just want at least 12 -14

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive got a 2.3 turbo that came out of an 88 mustang. i am trying to find out what kind of turbo it is but it doesnt seem to have any writing on it. Is it probably an IHI?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
IHI's had "IHI" on the compressor housing

T3's had Airesearch or Garrett on the compressor housing (and usually M11, etc also)

chinese turbo's don't always have any markings on them.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts