Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed an sbf underdrive small block billet pulley set on my newly rebuilt 302 then discovered the need to remove the water pump pulley. The person helping me had placed red Loctite on two of the 3/16" hex panheads. Using a 3/16" impact bit I was able to remove the two that didn't have Loctite applied. Unfortunately, I stripped the hex heads of the two with Loctite. Do you have any tips, ideas, or suggestions for getting these two off now that they are stripped? Any ASAP help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Locking hubs Wheel

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Try using a cut off wheel to put a flat on it for a flathead screwdriver.

Heat them up too and see if the loctite will soften.

Reactions: P63 and pkstang

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Make sure the wrench is not rounded. If there are any rounded corners on it then grind the end of the wrench off until the rounded corners are gone. Then heat the screw up to soften the loctite and wrench them off.
or
Can you weld a hex wrench on it?

ks

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,438 Posts
Try using a cut off wheel to put a flat on it for a flathead screwdriver.

Heat them up too and see if the loctite will soften.
^ step 1

step 2 would be to weld a nut to it and then put some heat to to loosen up the loctite

the key with any allen heads is making sure you have some quality keys as the cheap ones round off resulting in this bs. also, blowing out any junk with compressed air helps too.

good news is that you have nothing to lose at this point.

good luck.

Reactions: P63

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Weld a nut.

Reactions: P63

·
Registered
799 Posts
Welding a nut on there or heating the bolt up will turn that pretty aluminum pulley ugly very quickly. Just drill out the head of the bolt with a drill bit, the head will pop off of the bolt once you go deep enough. After the pulley is off you can heat up the snout of the water pump and use some vice grips to get the remains of the bolt out. Also, kick your friend in the nuts.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Welding a nut on there or heating the bolt up will turn that pretty aluminum pulley ugly very quickly. Just drill out the head of the bolt with a drill bit, the head will pop off of the bolt once you go deep enough. After the pulley is off you can heat up the snout of the water pump and use some vice grips to get the remains of the bolt out. Also, kick your friend in the nuts.
Hard part is at that angle getting the drill and bit perfectly centered to do such task will be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks, everyone for all of the suggestions! Here is the path I've decided to take as recommended by the pulley manufacturer CVF. "Thank you for reaching out to us, Unfortunately, the only way to get them off now will be to drill the bolt head off. Start small using the stripped hole as a guide and gradually size up the drill bit until the head pops off. Once you get that off you should be able to slide the pulley off. You can then use heat and a vice grip to get the remaining studs out of the mounting flange." The radiator is out now and looks like this method is gonna take a while.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
That's actually what I was going to recommend. Drill off the head only as much as necessary to get the pully off. At that point, heat the flange and get a good set of vice grips on it and see if you can get it off that way.

If that fails (and my gut tells me it will), dremel or grinder the remaining stud flat, and use a punch to centermark the stud and begin drilling. At some point you can likely use an extractor like recommended in post #6.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
That is why some people prefer stamp collecting or bird watching as a hobby.
But what kind of stamps? Tax stamps okay right?

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Okay, so you could probably take an easy out and pound it in at that point, that's plenty deep.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts