Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the flywheel in my 95 to get it resurfaced, however it keeps moving when I try to losen the bolts. I can't seem to figure out a way to keep something lodged in the teeth etc. to hold it still...any ideas?

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stick a medium sized phillips screwdriver through one of hte flywheel holes near the top of the block. THis will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I have only ever done it with an air impact or jamming a piece of wood between the flywheel and the bellhousing.
I use the balancer bolt with a breaker bar holding the front of the crank while torquing the flywheel bolts back up. Don't forget some permatex or locktight on the bolts. You have a torque wrech right?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
468LC said:
I have only ever done it with an air impact or jamming a piece of wood between the flywheel and the bellhousing.
I use the balancer bolt with a breaker bar holding the front of the crank while torquing the flywheel bolts back up. Don't forget some permatex or locktight on the bolts. You have a torque wrech right?
thanks for the suggestions guys. No I dont have a torque wrench, last time we installed the flywheel we just made the bolts evenly tight by doing 1 turn increments, and then made them tight,and used locktite,, shouldn't that work?

Dan

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The law of averages says you will probably be fine. I believe the spec is like 65 foot pounds ( correct me if I'm wrong). Can be hard to achieve with a foot long ratchet under a car. I also believe there is a small threat of warpage if the torque is not even. I would'nt do it without a good torque wrench, but that's just me.
If you've had good luck in the past you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The flywheel is out, used a thicker allen wrench in the flywheel hole, and it caught near the motor.
Now all I need to do is get a torque wrench, or use the same method I used before.

later

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.