Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the flywheel in my 95 to get it resurfaced, however it keeps moving when I try to losen the bolts. I can't seem to figure out a way to keep something lodged in the teeth etc. to hold it still...any ideas?

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stick a medium sized phillips screwdriver through one of hte flywheel holes near the top of the block. THis will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have only ever done it with an air impact or jamming a piece of wood between the flywheel and the bellhousing.
I use the balancer bolt with a breaker bar holding the front of the crank while torquing the flywheel bolts back up. Don't forget some permatex or locktight on the bolts. You have a torque wrech right?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
468LC said:
I have only ever done it with an air impact or jamming a piece of wood between the flywheel and the bellhousing.
I use the balancer bolt with a breaker bar holding the front of the crank while torquing the flywheel bolts back up. Don't forget some permatex or locktight on the bolts. You have a torque wrech right?
thanks for the suggestions guys. No I dont have a torque wrench, last time we installed the flywheel we just made the bolts evenly tight by doing 1 turn increments, and then made them tight,and used locktite,, shouldn't that work?

Dan

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The law of averages says you will probably be fine. I believe the spec is like 65 foot pounds ( correct me if I'm wrong). Can be hard to achieve with a foot long ratchet under a car. I also believe there is a small threat of warpage if the torque is not even. I would'nt do it without a good torque wrench, but that's just me.
If you've had good luck in the past you should be fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Better check again on torq specs. I remember 80-90ftlb

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude, use an impact. Zap it on and off. Unless you wail away with it on the highest setting when you install, you wont warp it. Strong bolts, good flywheel.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The flywheel is out, used a thicker allen wrench in the flywheel hole, and it caught near the motor.
Now all I need to do is get a torque wrench, or use the same method I used before.

later

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts