Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, here goes

I purchased a vdo eliminator shift light. It was drilled and installed into my mach 1 (03 w/DOHC 32 valve 4.6). When they went to wire it in the way for said (to crank position sensor) the car stalled. I was then told I needed a "tach adapter", so I purchased a "tach driver" through MSD. With that installed the car will now run with the shift light, but light simply turns on and stays on. What else do I need to make this work. My shops problem is they can't figure out how to get my tach to tell the shiftlight when it reaches my shift point, its a non-programmable tach. Is this where a switch comes in? I saw that MSD makes an "RPM activated switch". Is this what I need? Will purchasing this with the module at the rpm I need work? Am I going to need anything else? How does this all work? Does the switch turn on the shift light? Does the module tell the switch when I'm at my designated RPM?

-Any help would be appreciated
-Thanks
-Dan:evil:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I just installed one in my 98 Cobra and can't see how different it could be.

I spliced into the wires in the dash. The wire for the tach signal runs into the back of the gauge cluster. Find out what wire that is and tap into it.

Sorry I don't know what wire it is, exactly.

If not, ask over at www.raptorperformance.com

Maybe he can help you...

Alan

·
Registered
584 Posts
99+'s have C O P ignition...so the wiring is different. I haven't done this, so I can't offer any help. I've heard from others that the Raptor unit has detailed instructions and all the needed hardware. I believe they have a "pill" that you set for the RPM that will activate the light.

·
Registered
403 Posts
For your particular setup you'll need a tach adapter and an RPM activated switch.

We could build you a complete window switch WITH shift light activator........

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
D'oh!!! Forgot the ignition setup is different on the 99+ cars.. Sorry.. :(

A

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I've got it figured out. I already have the shift light and the MSD Tach driver. I've now got on order the MSD "rpm activated switch" and a "module kit" for the rpm powerband I want. It should FINALLY work after this stuff is in.

-here's hoping....

-Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts