Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm building a new 5.0 motor and putting it into my old Bronco. I've come this far without a book and would hate to have to go get one just for one question.

I'm putting the accessories on and getting ready to measure for a belt. How do you put the tensioner on (near the altenator) and should you measure for the new belt with or without the tensioner?

Oh yeah, the motor is 87-92 Mustang.

-Jack

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have all your accessories mounted. With tensior mounted to bracket, BUT not putting tension on belt is the way I measure for belts.
Using a old belt, perferrably longer, wrap around all the accessories and pull all the slack up by hand on the alt. pulley. I usually wrap top of belt about half way around alt pulley and make a mark with a marker. Then pull the bottom of belt up as close as you can get it to that mark, and make a second mark.
Now measure from one mark the entire lentgh until the second mark. This will be your overall lentgh needed.
A peice of string can also do this and get you close.
Good rule of thumb buy 2-3 belts within a few inches of each other. Take back what you dont use.
If you need to move or clock your tensior up or down more to gain more tension, remove tensior and notice the casted dowel which sets inside of a hole on the alt bracket. If you need to redrill a new hole to move tensior where needed. I always do this when removing air pumps on stangs.

Good luck

JT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal. Now how do you install the tensioner? I have the kind with the carriage bolt that goes all the way through to the alt bracket. The only way to get it on is to thread the carriage bolt through. But that pin gets in the way. Thanks!

-Jack

·
Registered
355 Posts
What year is your engine? and is the alt bracket and tensior off the same engine? You said it was a mustang HO engine correct?

Of these the bolt should slide through the tensior and threads into the alt bracket.

Unless you have a different year or setup, I not sure Im following what your asking. which pin? the one I spoke of on the back of tensior?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Sweet75 said:
Good deal. Now how do you install the tensioner? I have the kind with the carriage bolt that goes all the way through to the alt bracket. The only way to get it on is to thread the carriage bolt through. But that pin gets in the way. Thanks!

-Jack
Jack, it's just that one bolt straight through the tensioner to the alt. bracket.

I just pulled mine off today, that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where I got screwed up is I have a tensioner from one vehicle and a alt bracket from another. I took the carriage bolt out in favor of a regular hex head and it's all good now. Got the belt on and the new fan and she sure looks pretty!

-Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts