Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Mustang92 was pulling the front wheels off the ground in his pics with just 258rwhp. How is he doign that. 258 rwhp is not hard to get to. I want to be able to do that. I know other people with that hp level have to be doing it too. So what suspension mods does a person need to do to be able to do that. I know he has 4.30 gears. What else?

thanks Josh

·
Registered
639 Posts
How's 'bout you just PM the guy and ask???

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
LCA's, UCA's, subframes, 90/10's up front, 50/50's in the rear (or worn out stockers), rear drag launch springs, front sway bar removed, skinnies, lightweight wheels, and some slicks. After you've done that, you'll need to buy new axles and a differential, and have your axle tubes welded, because it will all break shortly.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
MustangLife said:
I noticed Mustang92 was pulling the front wheels off the ground in his pics ... I want to be able to do that.
If you're going up, you're not going forward.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

PhatDoggy said:
If you're going up, you're not going forward.
i agree really bad 60ft times come if you bounce out of the hole!
i pull them now, but when it comes down the car reacts like it bogged. went from 1.71 60ft to a 1.89.......ouch!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

jim g said:
i agree really bad 60ft times come if you bounce out of the hole!
i pull them now, but when it comes down the car reacts like it bogged. went from 1.71 60ft to a 1.89.......ouch!
Although this is generally true my car cuts consistent low 1.6 60 foots and for my power, suspension your not going to get much better. With more power and bigger wheelies yes it will slow you down considerably.

Bill

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
MustangLife said:
... How is he doign that. 258 rwhp is not hard to get to. ...
You get to say that AFTER you get there newb. Till that, lets just leave it at others have gotten there.

joe

Bill's got people jockin him now for pullin the wheels! hahahahaha:evil:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

It is not the wheels coming up so much that is the problem, it is the coming back down. The wheels going up help to let the motor's rpm come up faster, and thus getting you up in the power band faster. Also, it helps transfer weight to the rear wheels. The car should come down slowly. This keeps weight on the rear tires for traction, and you do not want to counteract the engine rpms. That is the idea of drag race shocks. They let the front come up fast, and then settle slow. This is the problem I have with my car. My springs are way to stiff to let the front come up. I get zero weight transfer, and I do not get no extra rise in rpms to get me up in the power band faster. I plan on fixing that soon though :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

SliderGT said:
The wheels going up help to let the motor's rpm come up faster, and thus getting you up in the power band faster.
WHAT???? On what planet does this happen? How does getting the front wheels off of the ground help the engine get the RPMs up? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derrick :barf:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

01blownGT said:
WHAT???? On what planet does this happen? How does getting the front wheels off of the ground help the engine get the RPMs up? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derrick :barf:

Listen smart guy, I never said anything about the wheels off of the ground. Maybe you should try reading before you open your big mouth. If you don't understand how bring the front end of the car up, NOT OFF THE GROUND, helps with the intial rpms, then I am not even going to waste any more time on you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

SliderGT said:
Listen smart guy, I never said anything about the wheels off of the ground. Maybe you should try reading before you open your big mouth. If you don't understand how bring the front end of the car up, NOT OFF THE GROUND, helps with the intial rpms, then I am not even going to waste any more time on you.
You’re a moron! In the quote you said wheels up, so maybe you should READ what YOU WROTE! We are talking about the wheels off of the ground and you are talking about the front end? So explain to me, Einstein, how does bringing the front end up, what ever that means, helps with engine RPM. What is initial RPM? What the F are you talking about? I don't think you even know what you are saying! Before you start talking ****, make sure you wont start smelling like it when you are done.

Derrick

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

SliderGT said:
Lifting the front end only aids in weight transfer, and in turn traction. The only thing making the RPMs increase is the throttle. The only thing that allows that to happen quicker is lower gearing or loss of traction. I can't see the direct correlation between unloading the front of the car and the RPMs going up. RPMs will increase at the same rate whether it's in the air or on the ground. If you've got weight transfer to the rear, you can give it more gas, which in turn allows the RPMs to increase faster. There will be a negligible reduction of friction for the fraction of a second it's in the air (or more if it's a powerhouse). So what it comes down to is lifting the front end transfers weight, giving more traction, allowing more throttle, which in turn makes the RPMs increase at a faster rate. Nothing direct, but through a chain of events, your statement is true (I think?). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

01blownGT said:
Before you start talking ****, make sure you wont start smelling like it when you are done.
:lol: Some of the best quotes come from the Corral.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

PhatDoggy said:
:lol: Some of the best quotes come from the Corral.

:D Thank you! I don't think he was talking about more traction allowing more throttle to be applied. I just think he does not have a clue what he is talking about.

Derrick

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to get the front wheels off the ground?

SliderGT said:
The wheels going up help to let the motor's rpm come up faster, and thus getting you up in the power band faster.
I, as well, don't see how pulling the front wheels, or the front end coming up, would help with the engine revving faster. Care to explain??? :confused:

·
Registered
643 Posts
For what it worth here the quote from http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/Launching_A_Drag_Car_2.html
Question: If your car Can Not spin the tires on launch, do you need to Transfer the weight?
Answer: No
The reason at this point for transferring weight is NOT to get traction but to allow the front end to rise so the engine can rev quicker and get into its power band. If the car is already in its power band then try limiting the front end travel. There is no need to have any more travel if you already have traction and the car is in the power band during launch.
:confused:
I would love to hear explanation on how it works as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Unlike you guys, I will not resort to flaming.

Maybe I should of rephrased what I meant about the front end lifting up, not the tires. I wrote the first post in hast on my way out of work.

Now for the explaination of bring the front end up, not the tires. I will try and expalin so that even you can understand it.

The idea of bring the front end up is a two fold purpose. The main thing as we all know is that it transfers weight to the rear wheels which helps to provided better traction. This one is a no brainer. The other part that most people over look is that bring the front end up helps to over come the fact that the car is at rest. When you first engage the clutch the engine is rotating, but the driveline is not. The car cannot move forward instantly. That means that the engine has to slow down in rpm, and thus reducing power. We all have experienced this "bogging" of the engine. How much the rpms drop and how long they take to come back up is mainly a function of how long it takes the car to start moving foward. That is, how long it takes the tires to get rotating. However, when the front end comes up on the car you are actually transfering some of the rear wheel rotation into the body of the car itself. This means that not only are you using the rotaton of the tires to move the car, but also raise the front end up. These two things together help keep the initial rpms up since the tire speed is directly proportional to the engine rpm. Do you understand this, or should I explain it more?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
see in stead of flaming u guys should have asked long time ago instead of making aquisations about what he knows. I pull one wheel with complete stock suspension.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts