Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought my first mustang (02 GT) and was refered to this website from the guy I bought it from. I am a bit of a gear head, but a novice when it comes to these modular mustangs and especially how to start getting power out of them on a budget. I go to school 5 hours from home so gears are probably out for right now because I am getting 29 mpg hwy with the 3:27's!

I am sure ya'll have read a million posts just like this one but hey, I'm new so any help is going to be much appreciated!

I am looking to spend between 800 and 1000 bucks here in a few days on performance parts... Being a broke college kid I need the best "bang for my buck" I figure its going to be in the nature of SCT, Headers, Pullies, Intake, and Throttle Bodies, but i'm not sure what exact route I should go and especially which brand and where to get it??!!

Thanks in advance for all the Help!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those headers are going to take a big chunk out of your $1000 budget. Like $800 if you buy new. So I would hold off on those. I'd start with CAI, I have BBK fenderwell on mine, then move to throttle body. BBK's are nice and all, but Accufab wins hands down. My BBK sticks like crazy no matter how I adjust it. With only a $1000 budget you're limited on what you can do right now. Unless you do some ebaying or look here on the classifieds. Just make sure you do things in the right order. It would be dumb to spend $800 on headers then not touch the intake, or get a tune first then put all your bolt-ons on.

·
Registered
476 Posts
After all the threads about bolt on parts and power and people are still wasting $100+ on a CAI... the stock rubber piece is proven to flow more than enough air for these cars until you start to make bigger power (400hp). A good drop in fram airhog or a k&n would be more cost effective vs a CAI kit.

1)You could upgrade the tb to a 70/75mm unit or there's a new 78mm piece that is new to the market. You might be able to get a good deal on the CAI/tb/plenum combo from a member here. (If you didnt know the stock plenum is around 65mm so the bigger tb is being tapered back down before the intake manifold, this can be fixed by buying a bigger plenum or having it port matched as close as possible. The new 78mm tb/plenum combo is the solution to the problem, others have just p/p the stock plenum to match a 70/75mm tb. Beware that to much p/p in some areas of the plenum have lead to turbulence and other issues, a quick search will explain what im telling you.)

2) Find a handheld tuner that you'd like to use for tuning (diablo, sct xcal etc). This will allow you to get the most hp out of your bolt ons in the future.

3) I would focus on the exhaust: If u want the most bang for your buck a set of MAC LT's can be had for around $300 vs $1000 for something more name brand. Matched w an off road h or x pipe w/out cats, and a decent set of mufflers you would see nice gains and have a more aggressive sound.

·
Registered
177 Posts
mac lt's are good they are about 400 , x pipe or h pipe mostly sound prefference , jlt cai , c&l or accufab plenum , twin throttle body , intake is good for now , pullies , 1 piece aluminum driveshaft should put a smile on your face till you want more

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keep it coming guys everyones opinions help...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts