Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this in stangnet but didnt really get a straight answer...im at a total loss about how to get the old unit out. nothing fits in there and the one thing that does fit in there (a deep socket 1 1/16") is too friggin long. how did everyone get theirs out cause im startin to pull hairs.....:confused:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I used a deep well socket, and that size sounds about right. What is in the way for using it?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just broke the plastic off of the sending unit , but be careful not to mess up the
threads. after i broke the plastic and used a socket to get it off. I seen a tool at the hareware store that is made to take it off. the tool was about 10.00

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the air pump gets in the way cause the socket is a little too deep. is there any way to swing out the air pump a little so we could get the extention to fit in there?

·
Registered
389 Posts
by air pump im assuming you mean a/c compressor....i recently removed my sender and it goes like this....if you remove 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the power steering/ac bracket to the head you can tilt the whole bracket assembly toward the passenger side of the car...that should give you just enough room to get a socket and extinsion in there...good luck!

·
Registered
697 Posts
All I did was take the oil filter off and use a swivl adapter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
94fauxbra - thats is exactly what i had too do. wish i saw your post earlier. the socket we had was too deep so we grinded it down a bit but after moving the p/s and a/c pumps and whatnot (yeah i said the wrong one before) and swiveled it down a bit, out it came. after puttin the oil back in....whammmo, oil pressure back to normal. thanx a ton everyone. it was an experience

·
Registered
469 Posts
There should be a stud sitting right next to the sending unit. With the filter and that stud out of the way, a pair of channel locks work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
C'mon guys get with it!:cool:

There is a special socket you can buy at any parts store (Car quest, Auto zone, O'rieley's) It shouldn't be over $10.

Using chanel locks? WTF? of course you are beaking the POS cheaply made little sending unit.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nope, no damage to the sendng unit. Yeah, I should have gotten the tool. I could keep it with the special set of tamper proof torx bits I needed one time. I could lose them both at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts