Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pulled off all sensors & upper intake,, as well as the bracket over the alternator. However, my lower intake (engine still in car) just will not come off.

I haven't tried any real drastic measures, but has anyone had my problem? Do I need to pull off the alternator? How about something to do with the IMRC or components.

I pulled out 8 bolts and two more small ones from the lower intake and can't see, to see anything else that needs to come off.

I appreciate any input.

Chris

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Does your intake have the two bolts inside the intake. One bolt between runners 2/3 and another bolt between 6/7. You have to look way down inside the intake. Some 96/97 intakes had these interior bolts, not sure about the 98's

You do not need to pull the alternator.

Unless someone used gasket maker on the gaskets, it should just lift off the engine with very little force once all the bolts are removed.

Please shoot me an e-mail or PM when you get a chance. I've tried to PM you, but your PM box is full.

·
Registered
654 Posts
MEENSALEEN said:
THERE ARE TWO BOLTS INSIDE THE INTAKE, BETWEEN THE RUNNERS.
The 98 Cobra does not have those bolts.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Did you remove the coolant crossover tube, and the studs that it mounts to?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK! It must be the interior bolts then. The engine in my car right now is a '96 Cobra engine. I'm sure that's the problem. I did get the coolant crossover tube.

Thanks again guys. Pretty soon I'll be the one giving back...

Blown, I'll PM you when I get this off tomorrow.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You don't need to remove the lower intake to remove the alternator. Remove the wiring harness bracket on top of the alternator and then loosen the two lower alternator bolts.

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I feel stupid. Those interior bolts wern't even hard to see but I just missed them.

The intake is off, thanks for everyone's help.

Now I'm ready to crack open my '98 intake and see if I've got the bolts inside ...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Chris,

For some reason I read your question wrong, no you don't need to take the alt off to remove the intake. : ) However, you will find it much easier to reinstall with the alt out of the car. It basically allows you go keep the intake a few inches forward while you install the IMRC cables and electrical connection.

Thanks,

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sounds like good advice Chris (taking alt. off before reinstalling intake, I hadn't considered it).

You know, I've been following your threads with Blown's. and pulling off and seeing these IMRCs for the first time really gets your mind going. Were you the one that did some type of port matching on the IMRCs and gained a few ponies (did you get deletes or anything?)

I'm considering other low cost possibilities for a few extra ponies. Maybe something I can take to a local maching shop (aren't the '98s plastic too?) What kind of cost would I expect?

SOrry to pick your brain

THanks fo all the info you've shared

·
Registered
746 Posts
Chris,

I port matched my intake to the IMRC gasket but really don't think it's worth the time/effort. If you are going to modify the intake then sure but alone don't bother. If you don't mind working on your own intake Blown has some great info on his web site.

Thanks,

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

1 - 12 of 12 Posts