Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a voltmeter and i was wondering which wire should i tap into. Also which setting on the voltmeter do i need to use?

Thanks
chris

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Test the battery connections. Set the VOM to DC volts. If you have a scale to select, then select the next scale above 10 (volts).

Or, get a cig lighter adapter with the wires attached, and tape the wires to the VOM probes.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Test from any chassis ground to the terminal on the starter solenoid. This is probably the easiest, best way to do it.

You NEED better than 12.6V, as that is what a fully charged battery has. You will likely find it anywhere between 12.9 and 14, perhaps higher, and depending on what accesories you are running at the time.

If it is really high, or low, you have some problems.

Also check the voltage from battery terminal to battery terminal, and from ground to the positive battery terminal. This will check the general condition of the electrical in your car.

The battery terminal to battery terminal should be the same as the chassis ground to starter solenoid. Also, the ground to battery positive should be the same. If any of these are different, you have a bad ground and/or battery cable somewhere.

Since you need to be able to measue between 11 and 15 volts, set your meter to that range. My DMM would be set to the 20V range to work properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.