Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a aod in my car and i need to know the best way to build it to handle about 500 horsepower? I have a stock aod, so should i buy the internal parts from lentech, or what should i be doing on this, this car is used mainly on the street! 94gt with 393

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If your putting out that kind of power, I'd have to go with a lentech street terminator and ditch the stock one.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Go with the complete Lentech trans, you will be much happier with a complete unit from Len.

Ian

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Moving to General Tech... please keep Engine Tech, engine related.

SVT

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
you need a stronger input shaft, one piece or at least replace the input shaft

stronger O/D band

stronger clutches, especially 3rd gear,

get a trans cooler, like a B&M Supercooler, nice cooler :)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
What Fast90LXStang said .. a Brand new STOCK AOD is supposed to be able to handle 400HP with an appropriate input shaft...

I built my own AOD, at home, with a Transtar OEM rebuild kit, PI hardened 3/4 shaft, Edge converter, Kevlar OD band, A+ Super overdrive Servo, Baumann shift kit, and B&M Cooler.. I think I spent almost $1000 but the transmission will handle almost ANYTHING I can throw at it.. If I go stroker, spray it, go big block.. you name it... I honestly think this tranny will hold up behind it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aod

mylittleho, i was kinda agreeing with you! i cant afford a lentech, they are really expensive! I believe that a built aod should hold pretty good!So if i got better gears, and a one piece input shaft, i should be ok?? Is there any other parts that are really important?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
There is a sale pending on my AOD, but if it doesn't go through, I can contact you if you'd like.

:D

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
The input shaft is the only thing that really is the weak spot of the transmission, breaking wise. Everything else is to prolong the life of the transmission and Overdrive band or to make it shift better...

Things bad about the AOD

weak shafts- replace with hardened shaft ($175)

Sloppy shifts -shift kit ($50)

Weak OD Band - New Kevlar band ($30) A+ Overdrive servo ($130) OR AOD-E 2 inch conversion (Over $200)

Overheating - B&M transmission cooler ($40-60)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dont wanna hi jack this thread , but where do I get the A or A+ servo? Also is it easy enough to install w/o taking out the trans? One more ? is how do you like your baumann shift kit? I hear with a 3.73 or 4.10 the AOD shifts from 2nd to 3rd immediately , does the shift kit help this? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Regarding a strong AOD:
MAKE SURE YOUR TV/KICK DOWN CABLE is adjusted correctly! When I bought my car, it was not adjusted correctly, but I just thought it was the shift kit :eek: b/c it was the first shift kitt'd car I'd had (if that makes since :lol: ). Well, damage was probably already done to the transmission, but that $30 cable cost me about $1400 :eek:

Make sure it's adjusted correctly! If I ever put a AOD/automatic back in my car, I'm going w/ a manual valvebody so I can do away w/ it! :eek:

Red89: Not sure on where to buy, as my transmission guy did all of that. But regarding the shift kit, I have a trans go, and I like it :) yes the shift kit will help, but you can also modify the AOD to hold shifts longer, or just forget that and get a manual valvebody :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
red89notch said:
Dont wanna hi jack this thread , but where do I get the A or A+ servo? Also is it easy enough to install w/o taking out the trans? One more ? is how do you like your baumann shift kit? I hear with a 3.73 or 4.10 the AOD shifts from 2nd to 3rd immediately , does the shift kit help this? Thanks. :)

MyLittleHO , please reply... :)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
red89notch said:
You can get the A servo from Ford... it came stock in the Thunderbird Supercoupe AOD but you will need to order the parts individually as they don't come in a kit.

E9SZ-7F200-A - Servo Piston
E9SZ-7D027-A - Servo Cover
E9SZ-7F201-A - Return Spring
E9SZ-7D024-A - Piston Seal
E0AZ-7D026-A - Cover Seal (two required)

The A Servo gives 16% more clamping force than the B servo (The one that is stock in Mustang AOD's) and the A+ servo has 11% more than the A Servo... The A servo should be enough for most cars. The A+ is designed for those who need a lot of torque capacity in Overdrive like those who want to tow with an AOD equipped vehicle... so it is basically on overkill on a stock car but overkill doesn't hurt the transmission... I got the A+ Servo because A) I didn't want to hunt down all the A servo parts from Ford B) It's extra insurance against band slipping and C) I didn't want to have to go all over the place when I was ordering a bunch of parts so i just got everything from baumann.. that included and A+ Super Overdrive Servo, PI hardened shaft, and Baumann shift kit..

A+ Super Overdrive Servo

Oh yeah and the A+ overdrive Servo kit have everything needed to install it in your car. To install it you will have to remove the valvebody (which if you're installing a shift kit, you have to do anyways) Then it is an simple as pulling a Snap ring and the old servo literally falls out... Now the hard part is getting it back in.. you will need a Welders locking C clamp to reinstall the new servo... also make sure to lube the O-rings and shaft with a TON of Vaseline!!!!! If not, the Servo might seize up in the bore and not work properly..

I set the baumann shift kit on Medium shifts for every shift. The 2-3 quick shift only happens when I accelerate from a stop quickly and let off.. then it might double shift but not under most circumstances...

This is my review of the Baumann kit when I first posted about it 3 months ago

The car is awesome now! under light throttle it shifts at normal rpms like it doens't evan have a shift kit in it. and the shifts are firm but not hard at all.

Under half throttle it will very firm @ 3,000 RPMs. Under medium acceleration you will get a little bark out of the 1-2 shift every once in a while. quite nice!

It takes a little while to get used to it but I can control the shifts by just modulating the gas.. I can cruise around in 3rd gear for as long as I want if I keep my foot into it and then if I want it to shift into OD I just back off the gas just slightly and let it shift into OD and then get back into it, It's great!

WOT shifts are now at 5,000rpms with a tire spinning 1-2 shift.

This is a great kit!!!!!

The guys at Baumann are real nice to deal with.. I ordered several items at one time and they were very friendly and helpful.. .

www.baumannengineering.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts