Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which cables are the ones to check for?

I'm having rough idle and need to start somewhere.

thanks

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
send me a message when you get on Yahoo...and I'll help ya out. I don't feel like getting hammered on here for saying what has worked for me in the past.

Troy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Redsnk95 said:
I don't feel like getting hammered on here for saying what has worked for me in the past.
Would that have anything to do about the myth that it can't be and doesn't need to be adjusted on the 94/95 models?? Just curious...there seem to be quite a few peeps who believe that anyway...or is it just a different way that you use?? If it's the ladder, heck man post it...I'd like to know too.

[temp. thread jack]
BTW man (Troy), have some questions about your rotating assembly and combo...I'm going to browse on ST later so I'll probably post in the general chat, later man.
[/temp. thread jack]

·
3,478 Posts
LOL it's just the slotting of the TPS to make it adjustable. Not many people believe it works, and nor do I want to instigate another huge TPS arguement on here, I just know it worked for me.
Feel free to shoot me a PM on ST.com and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Troy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay Troy,

I want to hear how you slotted yours. I may just do it on mine.
My car has been idling rough and Ford couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Mechanic said the IACS sometime sticks in real hot weather. I haven't checked the voltage on the TPS yet but if its off a bit, I'll need to know how to adjust.

Thanks

·
3,478 Posts
OK....if this thread turns into a huge ordeal and gets locked...it's not my fault :).

Pull the TPS sensor off and drill out the brass holes and slightly slot (up and down) the holes. Then put the sensor back on the throttle body and leave the two screws loose so that you can move the sensor around. Then use the throttle stop screw to get the car to Idle where you want...then move the TPS sensor around to get the desired voltage, then tighten the screws.
Rick Anderson @ AFM turned me onto this idea about 3 years ago when I put in my E303 cam.

Troy

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Redsnk95 said:
OK....if this thread turns into a huge ordeal and gets locked...it's not my fault :).

Pull the TPS sensor off and drill out the brass holes and slightly slot (up and down) the holes. Then put the sensor back on the throttle body and leave the two screws loose so that you can move the sensor around. Then use the throttle stop screw to get the car to Idle where you want...then move the TPS sensor around to get the desired voltage, then tighten the screws.
Rick Anderson @ AFM turned me onto this idea about 3 years ago when I put in my E303 cam.

Troy

thank you troy

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Do you know that a proven method to help back pain is sham? HONESTLY!!! ( http://www.medscape.com/ see: "Osteopathic Manipulation No Better Than Sham Therapy for Chronic Back Pain") In fact, placebos where the first pre-made medicine ever offered in the U.S.

Get a Tweecer RT. Adjust the SNOT out of the TPS. Then check to see "what magic" has been done.

According to Ford, Probst, and the Ford engineers in Dearborn, the ECC IV will zero out the TPS on startup. Of course, they ALL just worked on and designed the EEC IV. What do they know? Also, the mysterious TPS cure can't be captured on a Tweecer RT and the source code that is freely available does not support any claim that adjusting the TPS does squat.

From Ford:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/TPSTypes.jpg
NOTE: Two types of TPS are used on EEC-IV system. "Level C" Type is adjustable and "Level D/RD" type is nonadjustable. Throttle position sensors without slotted mounting holes are not adjustable. If voltage reading on nonadjustable TPS is not .9-1.1 volts at idle, and greater than 4 volts at wide open throttle, replace throttle position sensor.

From Probst page 89: Recent Ford systems, all EEC since 1988, use a Rotary TP. The potentiometer increases resistance as the throttle shaft rotates. It is not adjustable, but the control-module programming compensates for any differences in sensors, readjusting to a base voltage when the throttle is closed.

Also, see Probst Page 302.

======

In fact, you ALWAYS want the TPS below 1.1v at idle. So, keep it below 1.0v because the 5.0V vref WILL vary. But, for a *stock setup*, if it's not within range, then the TPS and/or the TB is *bad*. Well, here again, there may be an exception for some people.

The "big problem" comes in with aftermarket TBs. For those with blowers, the FRPP 65mm TB is too small. So, they "must" go after market. With after martket TBs, they are *not* made to meet all of Ford's specs. So, the TPS MAY not be at the correct range. So, it may need to be adjusted. But, we are talking about ADAPTING a Ford part to a non-Ford part. Technically, it is NOT adjusting.

Also, some people will adjust the idle stop instead of using an external plate (as suggested by ford for "big adjustments"). People may do that if they have a bog cam and no chip/tweccer. They need to up the idle to keep the car running. So, even with a stock TB, the TPS may not *always* be below 1.1v at idle. That will throw a code on 94/95 5.0's. Also, they will be an error on the FOX EECs. But, I don't have a verified explanation of what error handling the EEC will do in that case.

Of course, they is always the possibility that space aliens are clouding our minds and not allowing us to see the truth. ;)

·
3,478 Posts
I know what Ford says and all, I just know what worked for me. This is why I didn't want to post what I did. Sorry about all this Corral. I know that you know your stuff about his man and I'm not going to debate that. I've always agree with the information you've posted, I'm just saying that I used this method as recommend by Rick @ AFM (whom I trust) and it worked and I kept using it for a long time. Just my personal experiences nothing more, take it for what it's worth.

Troy

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
If you put on a E cam without a Tweecer or chip, did you have to adjust your idle stop? I would think you would unless you have an idle adjustment plate (the correct way according to FRPP) and/or a chip/Tweecer. Or, do you have a NON Ford TB? If EITHER of those are true, then I agree, that you should adjust your TPS so that it is within spec.

But, for a Ford TB without the idle stop adjusted, then adjusting the TPS won't do anything. (Assuming that the TPS and TB are good to begin with. :))

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
94-95 cars come factory with the equivalent of the idle adjuster plate.

There are two adjustments....

1)throttle stop

2) IAB screw (the idle can be adjusted with this screw)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a similar problem, I have a bbk 65mm tb and now I have the check engine light and code 122 saying that the voltage is too low. I hooked a voltmeter up to it and I have the 5.0 volts but not a reading of .50-1.0. Do I replace the tps or how do I fix it?
Greg

·
3,478 Posts
stangPlus2Birds said:
If you put on a E cam without a Tweecer or chip, did you have to adjust your idle stop? I would think you would unless you have an idle adjustment plate (the correct way according to FRPP) and/or a chip/Tweecer. Or, do you have a NON Ford TB? If EITHER of those are true, then I agree, that you should adjust your TPS so that it is within spec.

But, for a Ford TB without the idle stop adjusted, then adjusting the TPS won't do anything. (Assuming that the TPS and TB are good to begin with. :))
This is back when I built my current motor and put in the E303 cam, AFR 185s, and TFS R intake with a BBK 70MM TB. At first the car just semi-idled, then after slotting the TPS the car idled almost perfect but good enough for me. Then I ran across an Optimizer that made the car idle like a stock car. Now I have the PMS for the past year or so, and bought another TPS and the car idles like a champ. The J4J1 processor is pretty easy to deal with...as we've discussed it works well, as I proved it many a time with 11.50s @ 122 on a stock EEC.

Troy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts