Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Wyoming where trucks don't rust and there are tons of mid-90s 80s and even 70s pickup trucks with clean bodies and no rust available.

I don't need a diesel and they seem to go for top dollar with a 7.3. I'd be perfectly happy with the F-150 or F-250 with a 5.0 or a 351 Windsor.

My question is in those mid-90s fuel injected Windsor's, what are things that I'll have to look out for. The bodies are clean and they're cheap to rebuild but what about all different sensors for the fuel injection and things like that is there specific things that I should just go ahead and change out as preventative maintenance or do they run pretty good even at 25 years old?

I don't like car payments, I have no interest in buying a brand new truck. I rather drive around in a really clean square body.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I have a 96 conversion van for when I hand out free candy haha. Only has 86k miles, but runs fantastic. Pretty much similar to a sn95 mustang. Typical age items can go bad like a mustang. I don’t know of anything specific to lookout for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I daily a 93 bronco with a 351w. Ford efi trucks of that era are easy to work on and diagnose. Some typical issues are with the tfi module and related ignition components, tps sometimes go bad, ive seen alot of idler and tensioner failures. Ball joints and radius arm bushings are bad on alot of these aging trucks. As for fuel injection problems the only thing i would worry about is a bad fuel pump. Ive owned a few of them myself, done a few 351/zf5 swaps worked on all of them from 1/2 to 1 tons. Now that i think of it I have replaced alot of leaf spring hangers/shackles on these trucks aswell.

Dont let that first paragraph frighten you, these trucks are solid and I will be buying more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I daily a 93 bronco with a 351w. Ford efi trucks of that era are easy to work on and diagnose. Some typical issues are with the tfi module and related ignition components, tps sometimes go bad, ive seen alot of idler and tensioner failures. Ball joints and radius arm bushings are bad on alot of these aging trucks. As for fuel injection problems the only thing i would worry about is a bad fuel pump. Ive owned a few of them myself, done a few 351/zf5 swaps worked on all of them from 1/2 to 1 tons. Now that i think of it I have replaced alot of leaf spring hangers/shackles on these trucks aswell.

Dont let that first paragraph frighten you, these trucks are solid and I will be buying more.
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Biggest thing with these trucks seem to be rust and issues with the dual tanks. The EVAP vent line that runs along the frame also has a tendency to rot. Bumpers also have a tendency to rust from the inside out (Ford didn't really chrome the inside, since I guess that was too much money). Outside of that, nothing too crazy. Personally, I'd look for a 300 instead of a 302, but I'm not starting that flame fest again...

If you go with a 150, best upgrade is putting the ZF in it. The Mazda trans is not a truck transmission. Gearing sucks, and it's weak. The ZF bolts right in.

On the 250, the TTB is kind of crappy. The TTB in the 150 is much better. As mentioned, ball joints and bushings are the wear items there (whether TTB or TIB). If you do get a 250 w/ the TTB, a 350 Dana 60 is not a terribly difficult swap.

I think 95 351's got roller blocks. You have MAF on 96+ trucks, and I think some CARB trucks had it in 95.

87 trucks have junk hubs for 4WD (they're like the Dana 35 version that bolts on). That's a one year special. Also, if you do look for a 300, there's a donut style engine mount that's also crap (mostly in bricknose).

During the 70's, Ford made many changes, between engines, frame widths, axle widths, etc. So that's something to keep in mind as far as replacement parts and future-proofing.

Lastly, early 80's you may encounter Swiss Cheese frame trucks. While I don't think I've heard about longevity problems, those trucks are know to never have good body lines due to frame-flex.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
5.8 was mostly a gutless wonder. It was "ok" in a 1/2 ton but in a 3/4 ton and 1 ton, TURD. The 7.5 was a turd in comparison to today's stuff. But in 1995 I thought it was super sweet.

many say that they don't make them like they used to. There is truth to that. They make the better than they used to in so many ways.

the old 92-96 F150's were good trucks. Simple to work on. Radius arm bushings, ball joints have been an issue. Rust in cab corners even here where rust generally doesn't grow much, or at least not like it does in the rust belt. Yes the ZF is a much better transmission compared to the Mazda, although I had a 76 that I put a 408 in, and a Mazda behind it (M5ODR2 IIRC...from 93 F150 in junkyard). 2wd. I TRIED to break the trans and never did but as said the gearing...asbolutely sucks! And you can't shift it very fast, but you can't shift a ZF fast either. In a truck application isn't usually a concern.

THe automatics were nothing to write home about either. They really sucked the life out of the engine. When the 4R70W came out in later trucks with modulars, the lower first gear was a big deal, particularly for towing. Even with no load behind the truck, the 2.84 low gear made the truck feel peppier.

these old trucks are old, and you're gonna have to fix stuff. Plan for it. Heater core, TFI module, possibly engine if it's worn badly, etc etc. I have had 4 of them, 2 of them were 95's one 300 one 302 both 5 speed Mazda trans. Good trucks. I put a bunch of miles on the 302 truck not as many on the 300 as I used it to pull the car to/from the track. Both had dual tanks which was nice. IIRC it was a total of 34 gal of fuel which was good enough to make many trips from the house to St. Louis (about 450 miles one way), without stopping. Comfortable too but nothing like the newer stuff.

I would still own one if I could find one decent. Most folks that buy trucks here just buy them and never (ever!) maintain them, they fall apart, and they go to scrap. So finding anything decent here is pretty close to impossible. Mid 90's F150's are my favorite of all the F150's. Notice I didn't say F100's because the 65-66 is my favorite of ALL Ford pickups.

·
Registered
529 Posts
And you can't shift it very fast, but you can't shift a ZF fast either.
Hurst made a shifter for the Mazda trans, not sure if they still do for the 1/2 ton trucks (they still do for the Ranger I believe). That's probably the one thing I missed the most going from the Mazda to the ZF. Although, despite the boat rowing throws, the ZF shifts very nicely.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Some 302 and 351 (but all 460) equipped trucks came with an E4OD or 4R100 automatic. If you buy a truck with this trans, be careful and make sure it works/shifts well, has been well maintained and it has all the factory updates done to it. If that transmission needs a rebuild, be prepared to pay big bucks if you want it done right and want to keep it long term. I found that out the hard way. I spent over $2500 just in parts alone on my E4OD to build it to 96+ power stroke specs.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
351w roller blocks are notorious for cracking at the cam bearings

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is good info guys thank you very much thankfully here in wy and I mean they don't rust at all they don't use any salt on the roads and it's crazy how you can see '70s and '80s trucks driving down the road with original paint looking new.

being from New York it's really wild to me to see all these old cars just still running like champs. I did a tally sheet with my wife over two week period whenever we were in town. we came to the conclusion that there's more than double the amount of Ford's around then the other two brands combined.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,418 Posts

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
all original stock engines too
you're speaking from personal experience?

if so, please share some numbers as to how many bad ones you've found.

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,411 Posts
you're speaking from personal experience?

if so, please share some numbers as to how many bad ones you've found.
Top sticky here, Woody says the roller versions fail at a high rate.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
know the thread and am simply curious if Decipha has any personal experience or just another corral regurgitator who leaves out the little details like...

What are the chances that a block without the crack will develope the crack when rebuilt to double or even tripple the 200hp that some are developing cracks at?

Does this concern you when sending out engines that you know will be up in that power range?

Thanks!
No it doesnt concern me, if these block that have 100k miles on them dont already have the crack, they wont develop them IMO. I believe the crack is a result of the environment in which these engines are used. Buses, trucks, vans etc.. How many hired drivers simply just keep driving them when the temp gauge is pegged? Once it overheats and wont run then they pull it over call a tow truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.