Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is this; I have a 93 Cobra with an S-trim pushing 8 pounds of boost. My current setup consists of a bone stock block with the S-trim, custom burnt chip, catless h-pipe with flowmaster 2 chamber dumps. To date my best run at the track was a trap at 110.xx mph with a horrible 2.2 60ft "running on the orriginal tires." What kinda gains can I expect to see once I get the shorties in tomorrow?
Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
You should see a pretty substantial gain, especially considering how ****ty stock headers are.

If you didn't already have the shorties, I'd tell you to go ahead and go with LT's if you can get away with it emissions wise, that way you don't have to upgrade again later down the road, like me :(

Good luck and let us know how it runs!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't now how hard it was for me to go with the shorties but here in CA the SMOG certification has just gotton 10 times harder to pass and I wanted an EO number to show the Ref if my number gets picked:( Any idea on hp and tq gains?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Damn CA smog!

As far as numbers go, I can't give you an honest answer, but I would guess anywhere from 15-20 HP and about the same tq, should be good for a MPH or two in the 1/4. The reason my numbers are so optomistic is that your headers are the only bottleneck in an otherwise balanced setup.

In the future, if you have the money, you may want to get rid of the Flowmaster. I know its a different car, but I've seen a dyno graph of a 396 LT1 who gained 35-40 HP throughout the entire RPM range when he bypassed his Flowmaster muffler via a cutout. Sure, the cutout helped aid some of that, but not all 35 hp!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stang Man said:
Damn CA smog!
In the future, if you have the money, you may want to get rid of the Flowmaster. I know its a different car, but I've seen a dyno graph of a 396 LT1 who gained 35-40 HP throughout the entire RPM range when he bypassed his Flowmaster muffler via a cutout. Sure, the cutout helped aid some of that, but not all 35 hp!
Wow, I'll definitely consider it!
thanks

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I live in CA too. I hate the danm smog laws here. I have the same headers for the same reason. I didnt; dyno my car before I put them on and I havn;t dyno'd it since so I can;t help ya with numbers, I can tell ya it will breath a lot better. I tend to agree with stangman you'll get another mile or two in E.t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts