Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how much timing is too much? How much timing is considered a safe amount? I have a supercharged 01GT that is going to have a forged shortblock put in next week. I blew the previous motor trying to run 10# of boost. It actually broke the rod when it blew. Anyway, back to the question, how many degrees of timing is relatively safe? Is it 13 to 14 degrees? Is that on the mild side? I believe that 18 to 19 is kind of high. This is going to be a daily driver and top horsepower #'s are not my main concern. With the supercharger and other mods, I should see around 400- 425 rwhp. Anyone with any idea would be a great help. I want to be able to tell the tuner how I want the car setup. Sometimes they only care about getting every last bit of hp and not reliabilty. Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

Correct me if I'm wrong but on blown cars aren't you supposed to retard the timing?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
timing

18-19 is what he was told he just probably didnt here everything that is total timming.

Jason

·
Registered
113 Posts
yes, you want to retard the timing to 8 - 10 pending on the set up and tune

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I'd say safe is anywhere from 10-14 degrees. I will be running 15-16 degrees. Anymore then that and I think you're taking a serious risk (Unless you run serious octane to help keep detonation away). That has been my experience anyway.

Good luck,
Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts