Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running ported gt40ps, ported explorer intake(felpro1250 matched), e cam, 1.6rr, 1 5/8 longtubes, offroad flows, pullies, 76c&l maf. However I still have stock tb how much power would i pick up going to a 65mm tb? I'm also going to be installing an electric fan then hitting the dyno. Hoping for 250rwhp through my aod tranny. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Put a 70mm on it (match it to the inlet opening) I'd say you pick up about 5hp.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the inlet opening is 65mm that's why i was putting a 65mm on it. I was hoping for 10-15 with that and the electric fan. :( Oh well.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I thought the cobra uppers were 70mm, I figured the explorer would be the same. An elec fan wont get you much if any power. maybe 1-2hp.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Don't be surprised if you do the throttle body and drivability goes out the window. There are a lot of parameters in the EEC that address the airflow through the throttle body, and getting a different tbody can throw them all out of whack.

I'd go with the elec. fan only, you'll see more of a benefit from it, I'd guess in the 5-10 hp range, IMHO.
:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
93Cobra#2771 said:
Don't be surprised if you do the throttle body and drivability goes out the window. There are a lot of parameters in the EEC that address the airflow through the throttle body, and getting a different tbody can throw them all out of whack.

I'd go with the elec. fan only, you'll see more of a benefit from it, I'd guess in the 5-10 hp range, IMHO.
:)

Are you serious? Even with just a 65mm tb? I have never heard that before... I thought the eec addressed air flow through the maf?

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Yep, there are like 10 or so items that have to do with idle speed and throttle body conditions.

When you increase the size of your tb, you are increasing the amount of air that flows through it. While the MAF accounts for the amount of air going through the motor, the TB is the "gate" that regulates it. The EEC actually knows how much air is supposed to be flowing through the stock TB at idle, for instance. And the ISC settings (7 or 8 of them, I believe), use the TB numbers to determine how much to open and close the ISC solenoid.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that everyone with aftermarket tb's will experience problems. But I'm willing to bet that some amount of drivability will be lost without tuning the EEC for it.

With that being said, eventually I'd like to go for an aftermarket TB (probably an Accufab unit), but I have a tweecer and can compensate for the changes.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ok, personal experience from me. I have the BBK 65mm TB and have not had any trouble with it. I picked up a tenth to 15 hundreths of a second on a stock motor so depending on the condition of the stock one you never know. But i'd say at least a tenth. I also picked up a tenth with the electric fan. And a old school rule of thumb, although debated, is 10 horse is worth a tenth so two tenths equals 20 horse. But thats just my personal experience, take it for what it is.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh and i was lookin at your combo, you need a stall convertor bad

·
Registered
709 Posts
no more the 5hp. I would say you may notice a better "throttle response" before an actual seat of the pants power increase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts