Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69-74 351w blocks, these are the strongest production 351W blocks correct???? and what are the 94-95 351w roller blocks rated at???? i'm looking to build a 408 in the near future, and want to make mad HP (dont we all ) so i want a block that can handle it.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
You want to make MAD HP, then get an aftermarket block and be done with the quessing games.

Why have to worry about exceeding the foundation of the combination. When your talking about the strength of the early versus late model blocks, two differences are there.

The older block is going to have more cylinder material. It will have a better stability supporting the rings. The older block will also have a thicker main webbing. But not by much....

The late model block, material has been removed to lighten the thing up. Less cylinder bore material, thinner deck surface area, and thinner main web material. All to save a few pounds...

But if your going to look at 750hp, or more.... go aftermarket and leave the junkyard stuff to the street oriented cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on man, i'm really trying to make 600 on the motor. and unless i can find a good aftermarket block for a killer deal, than i'll really have to think about it. do you think the 69-74 blocks would be cool for 600 HP? converted to roller of course.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
With a half fill of hardblock, sure, it MIGHT hold out to nearly 1000, if he's real lucky. I never said that there were not people getting extreme performance from near stock blocks.

There are people that get stock 302 blocks to hold up to 800hp. I had a 69 cast 302 block that held up to 640hp, until I blew a piston apart, and disintigrated a cylinder.

I wouldn't recomend someone else risk high dollar internals on a maybe package. If your going to spend $1500.00+ on some of the internals, ie a $1500.00 crank, a $1200.00 set of rods, $1500.00 for a set of pistons, $450.00 for a set of rings.....

Why use a foundation as a fuse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts