Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
rhino1 said:
Thats pretty much it. I want to know what my limits are with using what came with it?
If your using a stock windsor block, the block itself is the issue WAY before the crank. A stock 351W block will handle around 550hp, maybe a little more with a main girdle. Either way, after 550hp it becomes a track oil down waiting to happen.

BTW, I'm not sure about the crank itself because I've never seen a broken crank in a still-in-one-piece block.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the 351w blocks are that weak, how do people make soo much power with 302 blocks? I have seen 302s with @ 500 hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
870 Posts
they are stonger as the journals are larger, however it makes for replacing main bearings sooner than a 302 as there is more wear on a 351 vs 302 with same rpm. they do make a kit though to use 302 journal size with a 351 crank turned down. at that point you are at the same strength as 302 but with better block,more cubes, and better head bolts (1/2")

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
rhino1 said:
I have seen 302s with @ 500 hp to the wheels.
So have I. They didn't last long racing on a regular basis either. I've heard of a few that have stayed together at high horsepower levels like that for a long time. All I can say is these people are damn lucky, or either master tuners. I'm neither, and I don't think many other people are either, so if I had the money I would buy an SVO or Dart block so I could have a little, margin for error.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Re: Re: how much power can a stock 351 crank handle?

Raceallday said:
If your using a stock windsor block, the block itself is the issue WAY before the crank. A stock 351W block will handle around 550hp, maybe a little more with a main girdle. Either way, after 550hp it becomes a track oil down waiting to happen.
Well I guess people have different experiences :idunno: I've seen stock 351 blocks making lots more than 550 hp ;) Seen some with stock cranks and making some serious hp too. Some cars I'm thinking of had to be making 700-800.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hopping the stock crank will work fine for awhile. Thats what I am going to use for now. I hope to have around 450 to 500 by the time I'm done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts