Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into purchasing some mystichrome paint. Its obviously really expensive so i dont want to buy any more than i need. My question is this: can i paint a 95 gt comfortably with 2 pints, or am i going to need 3?
thanks for any help

·
Registered
989 Posts
subscribing...I too am interested in this

·
Registered
248 Posts
if your talking about painting the whole car, 2 pints will not paint the whole car. 2 quarts of chromabase should paint one up though, its a 1:1 mix.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You will need 3 pints for your car. If you are painting your under hood and under trunk and if you have wings/ground fx, etc. you may need more. You must spray the car in a black basecoat first then spray the mystic over that. I am doing a '68 Vette in Mystichrome now, originally blue. I used a black tinted urathane primer on the whole car first. I will post pics when I'm done. Feel free to ask anymore questions, I am pretty fimilar w/this paint, I did my '93 Cobra Clone the '96 Mysitc color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i am definitely planning to do underside of hood and trunk aswell, so i guess im looking at 3, probably 4. Next question: im looking at buying this paint now while i can find it cheap, but i still havent bought my new hood or spoiler, which will be in a few months. Does this paint have a decent shelf life? i.e. can i buy it now and not put it on the car until the fall or even next spring? (keeping the can factory sealed until paint is going on the car)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe pot life is 1 year, but I've had some left-over mystic laying around for nearly 2 years and opened it several times and used it on a few things and it worked just perfect. Just make sure you keep it in room temp and shake it up once in a while and you shouldn't have any problems. You can order this paint from any DuPont Paint store, just give them the color code. The Dupont Chromalusion mix colors are usually about $325/pint, sometimes they only sell it in quarts, so buy 2 quarts. The price should stay the same though. Ford and Dupont have agreed to let this paint formula be known to the public unlike the '96 mystic made by BASF. Don't forget, you must buy black basecoat, reducers, clear, and hardners, etc. Do not attempt to use this paint if your are not fimilar w/spraying it, or make sure the body shop or painter knows how to use it, it's not hard to do, but you wouldn't want to take a chance because it's so expensive.... Good luck...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, im not going to be painting this myself, im calling around to find the best. Thanks for the help, i just got one more question since i got people who know what theyre talking about: what is the paint code from dupont for the exact same paint as the 04 mystichrome?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts