Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to prevent my 351W from burning rod bearings I installed shims under the spring in the oil pump. Now, when the engine is warm it idles on 80psi. When you rev it up to about 2000rpm its on 100psi. Any higher than 2000rpm it pegs the needle all the way back to zero!
Is this too much? I'm not worried about it busting the oil filter because I have one with a thicker shell. I have no leaks either. I have a bronze distributor gear and the stock 3/8 oil pump drive. Am I in any danger of breaking the oil pump drive? How long do you think the gear might last?

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Your gonna toast distributor drive gears left and right.

How much oil pressure is too much? When it is simply robbing you of HP.

Without something of an accurate gauge its tough to tell how much oil pressure your pushing. Pressure isnt the thing your worried about when you want to prevent burning the rod bearing, its volume. You can spike some little geared stock volume pump to 100psi+ and still have a RPM induced starvation of oil at the bearing.

I have my Titon set at 110 PSI, I saw 105 at the sender at 7500 RPM. It flows enough oil to cool the crank of a top fuel car. I have the same diamater mains as you, but I run LARGE clearances. For the most part so long as you have 10 PSI per 1000 RPM your fine, above 100psi, you start building uneccessary heat...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how accurate my gauge is. It's an Autometer gauge. The pump is an HV Dynagear. I have the oil restricted to the lifters, cam bearings and I also blocked the smaller of the two holes that feed the front main. My filter is a Fram HP1 and I have 10W40 Red Line oil (they were out of Royal Purple). Clearances are .003 mains, .0035 rods. I've tried everything. If it starts eating distributor gears I can maybe reduce the pressure by drilling out the hole in the restrictor that cuts oil to the lifters. Other than that, it's back to the engine stand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.