Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 91 4 cyl. coupe and the steering has alot of play in it. So its proabably the rag joint...right??? Ive never had to change one before so I am wondering how difficult it is ????

·
Corral Charter Member
11,387 Posts
loosen and pull rack from K-member a bit

unscrew the bolt securing the bottom of the steering shaft to the steering rack

unscrew the bolt securing the top of the steering shaft into the steering column

remove steering shaft

chisel off (or drill out) the large rivets and remove the bolt(s) securing the rag joint to the steering shaft

replace rag joint - instead of rivets, you use bolts that come with the rag joint kit. The rag joint kit can be purchased in most Pep Boys, Auto Zones or Advanced Auto parts stores.

replacement of stering shaft is reverse of the above

good luck!

Also check your outer tie rod ends and inner tie rod ends on the steering rack, because if there is accrued miles on that unit, those parts CAN be bad (loose). This will also cause sloppy steering feeling as well.

Check your front ball joints too. If the ball joint boots are torn, and the ball joints are extremely easy to move around by your hand, it's time to replace them also.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DAMN!!!!!!!the old rag joint was in such bad shape it pretty much crumbled in my hands :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts