Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra.

I already have a Nitrous Express Kit and want to know how much squeazing this car can take with stock everything except for exhaust.

I see the KB guys really beating on the bottom end so I would suspect it could handle at least a 150 shot.

Also, at what point will I need to upgrade from the stock clutch?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well with the wet kit all you really need to ensure is that your fuel pump is high flow enough to compensate for the "extra injector".

Does anyone have the link to the thread -- killing the motor on a 125 shot?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fourcam305 said:
Didn't Pete blow his motor a month or two back?
Nope, he just sold the car this month. Maybe he broke something else, I dunno, but from what I understand the motor is fine. On the ModularFords.com forum he says he'd working on an '05 Cobra for next year. I can't wait to see that means but he's talking 8's :).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was lucky enough to take an '03 for a test drive a little while back, very nicely build machine. Sales guy tried telling me they don't do test drives with this car, I was like "yeah right".
I wound it up a couple times, could only imagine what a shot of nitrous would do. Ford did a great job on the suspension I thought, nice handling. My 99 handles fine, just stock, but the '03 was tight.
Besides the blower, is there any other differences in the motor?

stang99svt said:
Recent inforamtion from the modular division, says their won't be a cobra till 06'.
What are you talking about? :confused:

·
Registered
811 Posts
RedGTvert said:
That seems hard to believe, considering people like Nitrious Pete is cramming 22# of KB down the throat of his '03 and a 50 or 75 shot on top of that.
Not very hard to believe if you see what happens to fuel pressure on a returnless car when the fuel solenoid opens sporting large jets (enough to support >=100hp of nitrous flow).

MJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's no need to spray over a 50 shot. Slap on a 2.93" pulley, drop in a filter, throuw on a catback and you're at 460rwhp. The stock fuel system can only support 500rwhp. A 150 shot is going to blow up your motor. Mixing power adders is a touchy subject.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont want to change pulleys for fear of loosing my warranty. In the case of nitrous I can pull the entire system off the car in 3 hours. No modding of the computer needed. No way to tell it was being sprayed.

What is the suggested upgraded fuel pump for above 500HP?
Do I just add an inline?

I want to run at least a 75 shot. More comments welcomed.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
I dont want to change pulleys for fear of loosing my warranty. In the case of nitrous I can pull the entire system off the car in 3 hours. No modding of the computer needed. No way to tell it was being sprayed.
LOL, keep telling yourself that. The engineers at Ford will find nitrous residue on your pistons in your chambers and you'll be out a warranty. I've seen it happen. It's easier to get away with a pulley swap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fourcam305 said:
LOL, keep telling yourself that. The engineers at Ford will find nitrous residue on your pistons in your chambers and you'll be out a warranty. I've seen it happen. It's easier to get away with a pulley swap.
Nitrous residue.....um I dont think so.

Nitrous is a gas that is ingested by all motors...its in the air.
And ford doesn't inspect each motor that takes a dump.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Actually, it's the sulphur that's left over, but believe what you want.
LOL, they tore apart a 99 GT motor, but they won't tear your '03 Cobra motor (at twice the price)? Believe what you want.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jeff_Jeske said:
Nitrous residue.....um I dont think so.

Nitrous is a gas that is ingested by all motors...its in the air.
And ford doesn't inspect each motor that takes a dump.
ha its funny seeing the probetalk sales wizard over here, way to pick a car you can get some where with!:D

You would be amazed what they will come up with, and how do you figure a nitrous kit which leaves a hole somewhere is faster to take off then a pulley ??? :confused: Doesnt really add up there...:rolleyes:

You blow it, they will find a way to screw you, they arent stupid:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
For what it's worth, my buddy/boss has a Sonic Blue '03 and he runs a 125hp NX kit on his without any problems. He drives it like he stole it--I mean he straight up abuses it. He'll leave in 1st on radials, on the spray, on the rev limiter for two blocks--not that I'd recommend that. However, it did impress me that he hasn't been able to tear it up. He bought the first one I'd seen in person, so he's had it awhile. I'll ask him tomorrow how many bottles he thinks he's run through it in those months for reference. As for nitrous residue, I'll ask my friend at the Ford place as he's the sales manager and he assured my buddy there would be no warranty 'issues'. Ken

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mr. Owl how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jeff_Jeske said:
Umm...you will to modify the AFR and timing *somehow*, and the only effective way to do that is with a chip. You can do AFR with tools like the Mafterburner, and it is fairly low profile, but it still has to be there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts