Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should I expect to pay for a Spec Stage 2 clutch install? I've asked around town and I have heard anywhere from $200-$385. I just want to get the best deal possible, especially after throwing down close to $300 for the Spec. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think that it is listed in the book as a 6 hour job. Save the money and do it yourself. It's not that hard. It took a buddy and myself and 3.5 hours from start to finish. You just need to take the flywheel and get it turned so the new clutch does not chatter. It is alittle difficult handiling the tranny because of the bellhousing not seperating. I'm sure you can find enough info on here or in a manual to help you save the money and do it yourself.

Brent

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its pretty hard BLADZEE, unless you have air tools, a transmission jack or jack plate, and a lift or some high ass jackstands. Easy part is getting it down, after you get out those hard bellhouse bolts at the very top. Actually bolting and aligning the clutch and p/p is pretty easy, but then lining the transmission back up can be frustrating. While you are at it I would replace the pilot bearing too, its like $15 bucks and you can rent the puller from nearly any auto parts place. As Black01Bullitt
said, you need to get the flywheel turned, otherwise your new clutch might not wear properly. You can do it in your garage, but you need alot of space under the car and a decent amount of time and beer...good luck with it!

BTW...the prices you were quoted sound about right for labor

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Although I would consider myself a pretty decent mechanic, I just don't have the space, time, tools, or lift to get that kind of job done right.

Maybe i'll just do some looking around to find the best price, but more importantly, a reputable shop.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ford dealership quotes 3.8 hours for a clutch change in a 2000. The dealerships around here charge $100/hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts