Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled off my TFS TW, and one of the heads are slightly warped.

I was going to just have them surfaced, but if I mill them for a little extra compression whats the max they can be milled?

They have that big 2.02" intake valve so it cant go too far.

If I mill them .030 or .040 what if I need to surface them again in the future? Am I going to have enough head left to do it?

Also if I mill them .030 or .040 how much do I need to have the intake milled?

Or should I just have them surfaced?

Thanks

Skyler

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am running a stock shortblock with an E.303 cam and 1.72rockers.

Skyler

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might go .030.I`m not real sure of .040.I went .040 with a tf
stage 1 cam which has about .500 lift and when I tore it down
I could see where the valve had been hitting the piston.I don`t
think it done it all the time,it was when I missed a shift.The
tf valves come in at a different degree of angle and won`t go
in the stock valve reliefs,was hitting up above them.I guess
its possible I could have floated the valves or the springs were
a little weak but I don`t think so

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I milled mine TFS heads .020" and my lower intake (Edelbrock) barely fits. It's pretty expensive to have the intake milled and if you do, it will only work with heads that have been milled .040" from then on.

BTW, what injectors are you running and what is your FP/timing set at? I have basically the same combo as yours except I have a 10:1 306 short block and I'm taking it to the track for te first time this week. I have 24#'s set at 42 psi vac. off and of 15* timing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I heard you left them laying by your car at the curb. If you keep leaving them in the middle of the street you won't have to worry about resurfacing them!

Take em to the machine shop and have them cut the minimum amount. No sense in going further.

P.S. - Your engine will run awesome with those 1.72's simply because they used to be on my Canfields....

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
No sense milling them at all. Just put your stock heads back on, because it won't matter anyways. My car is still faster.
:evil:

Chris

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing was 17 and fuel pressure 40, Ive never had it set prefect Im always playing around with it.

Al- Oh, the rockers have the magic touch hey?

Chris- We'll see next time out.

Skyler

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I milled mine .050 and took .050 off the intake and had them flowed aswell. I think I payed around 150 bucks for everything.....

If you take .010 off the heads you should take .010 off the intake.. There is a tolerance here of course. To get a true fit would be to have the heads milled and torq down and let the machinist mock the intake up...

Mine matched prefect and I didn;t take the block to him but I guess I was luck..

Also I would think twice about running a 1.72 rocker with the TW heads.. The geomerty is much better for them with 1.6. TFS suggest using 1.6's..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts