Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas as to how much boost i can run with Trick Flow aluminum heads (not o-ringed), 1.6 trick flow roller rockers. I'm looking into a turbo setup, and want to get an idea of safe boost amounts. Anyone have an idea? What have people done with non-ringed trick flow heads?

Michael Reger

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
10 lbs is the max. I would run in a daily driver with stock block; maybe 8 for a safer tune.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It depends how much timing you are running, what fuel you are using, what head gaskets you have, and what size turbo. Detonation is the only thing that can hurt it (as well as running lean) and what you want to avoid.

With my setup, running 12 degrees of timing (No boost retard), 42lb injectors, and 112 octane i have run 15 lbs of boost with no problem.

On the street, on 93 pump gas, 10 degrees timing, and 1 degree of retard per pound of boost, I run 10 lbs of boost no problem, and i beat the crap out of it. So far everything has held together nicely (about 15K miles).

Headgaskets also matter, If you are using the cheap paper type gaskets that trick flow reccommends on their site you wont get away with much. I use the Graphite ones that can be bought at Ford, they are much better for sealing.

Good luck

·
Registered
456 Posts
Take the heads off and oring them. The best offense is a good defense so make sure you do it right the first time. If not then its just going to be a lot of trouble for you down the line.

But seriously if you plan on running more than 10 psi, then your block becomes a ticking time bomb, it'll crack soon or later but a lot sooner the higher you go.

With 8 psi your car will make around 410-430 rwhp and with 10 psi your at 450 + rwhp.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
spydermandb said:
if you o-ring it, udnerstand that you will blow a piston before a headgasket. so which would you rather blow? a headgasket or a piston??
Not only do I agree with this, but I had my o-rings removed because they introduced sealing problems even after I had them fixed. Besides that, the o-ring gaskets are a complete rip-off highway robbery.

Don't o-ring the heads. My .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts