Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've got a 10psi P1SC/3-core set up that i will be installing on the '02 in my signature this weekend and was having second thoughts about 10 psi. I am thinking, maybe I should go with the 8psi pulley instead. What do you think? I don't need to be blowing it up...yet. Also, for other procharger owners, how good are the procharger chips as far as being conservative with timing and fuel? I will also have the stock lightning maf, new 42 lb injectors, different plugs to go with it. I ordered my setup with Keith Foster of Foster Motorsports in Decatur AL
Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
455 Posts
I broke a ring land last year pushing 8-9psi and the motor was "tuned". It lasted a year before the failure. You might have better luck though. Every motor is different. Ed Clark is pushing 10-12 psi on his stock engine and he hasn't had any problems.
Good luck, homey
-Randy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't go past 8 psi. The stock internals can't handle any more. They can't even handle 8 psi for long. 10-12 will work if you don't run your car past 4,000 RPM that much. Just driving around town, you won't get it up past 4,000 RPM that often, that is why some guy's engines last longer than others. But if you race it, street or strip, you're bound to have a failure, no matter how well-tuned it is.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I hate it when people say they blew a motor even after it was "tuned." Just because you got a tune does NOT mean you got a good tune. I have been pushing 12-14 PSI for almost a year now on a stock long block (including the plastic intake). I am not saying it will last forever, but if tuned RIGHT it will last for a good while. Don't stick with the tune for the manufacturer no matter how good they are. A custom tune will always be better because every car is different. A good tuner will hook your car to a dyno with a wide band attached and set your tune for your car.

I know a few guys that have been running over 12 PSI on stock motors for a few years that have not had problems. Then again, I know 2 guys that blew their motors (1 with 8 PSI, 1 with 10) in just a few months. It all comes down to tune and how well you take care of your car. Taking care of your car means, not beating on it if you hear the slightest detonation. It means changing your plugs every 10000 miles and general maintenance.

I think people like me and Ed are proof you can 10 PSI and more on a stock motor and not "blow it up." You just need to take care of it.

Derrick

·
Registered
455 Posts
01blownGT said:
I hate it when people say they blew a motor even after it was "tuned." Just because you got a tune does NOT mean you got a good tune.
well, I'm sorry if I ruined your day.. I merely pointed out that I had a tune just to prevent time wasted by people asking "well, did you have it tuned?" And I thought I made it clear that the motor lasted a year AFTER being tuned. I would think if the tune was bad, the motor wouldn't have lasted a year with weekly racing..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Boost doesn't kill motors detonation does!!! I am running 14psi and have never had the car detonate so I feel quite comfortable and in fact will be upping the boost with the addition of a powerpipe. I know someone who ran a basically stock Cobra motor with 28-30psi and didn't have any issues for quite a while.

HiPoLX, I think you are doing the right thing by getting 42's, MAF and plugs. You may want to consider a BAP. I know it has worked on my car for almost 3 years now with 0 issues. This will allow you to get the needed fuel pressure and keep it where it is needed while under boost. Mine is RPM activated where I think Ed Clark had his setup differntly? Maybe he will chime in and correct me. I know Ed was running one but not sure if he has changed his setup. Good luck you will love the blower! later Ron

·
Registered
161 Posts
8psi for the first 7 mos. 10psi for the next 10 mos, 10psi intercooled for the last 3 mos. and not retuned for the cooler.

I see some sort of boost every day. I've put 21k on the charger, 27k total.I ordered my charger the week it was released from vortech, and to my knowledge, I've got one of the longest running stock bottom end '01s out there. Sure I may not have the craziest HP numbers out there, but I can't complain :D

I've been lucky, and while I admit luck has something alot to do with it, don't discount that being SMART about it- and taking every precaution you possibly can- does play a role in longevity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2001 and have been running the 8lb wheel on the P1SC for about a year on a bone stock engine. I see about 13lbs of boost at ~6400rpm. No problems yet, but we took our time tuning it right.

That doesn't mean it won't let go tomorrow. The engine is putting out a heck of a lot more power than it's rated for. Even without detonation, something could just let go.

But, so far, I've been lucky, and it seems pretty solid and stable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
primetime said:
You may want to consider a BAP. I know it has worked on my car for almost 3 years now with 0 issues. This will allow you to get the needed fuel pressure and keep it where it is needed while under boost. Mine is RPM activated where I think Ed Clark had his setup differntly? Maybe he will chime in and correct me. I know Ed was running one but not sure if he has changed his setup. Good luck you will love the blower! later Ron
I second the BAP. It couldn't be easier to set up for 99+ cars. Ed did mine. He just turned it up all the way and left it alone. All the BAP does is give the computer more voltage range to send to the fuel pump. So, its only doing its job when you've exceeded the stock voltage limit. Ed could explain it better than I can, though.

The Kenne Bell BAP is very versatile. You can make it work on a lot of different applications. I believe thats why people have a perception that a BAP is hard to tune with. I can tell you, on a 99+, there is no tuning required.

·
Registered
149 Posts
2 years (summers only) with the P1SC and 8psi.... that being said, just like dataangel, I've seen well over that on occasion. I got on a dyno and was seeing 11+ easily. Not sure what that's about, but you won't hear me complain :D Still using the stock ATI chip since there are no tuners around here. When it was on the dyno I was told that the a/f was pretty conservative. I'm sure I could get more hp out of my setup, but I'd rather lose 30hp and have a setup that will last.

Gonz

·
Registered
300 Posts
i've got a p1sc with 10# pulley. Then again I only have about 3 tenths of a miles logged on it(Supercharger). It only ran on the dyno for a tune, and went right back on the trailer and back into storage. Can't wait for the snow to melt to take it for a spin.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doctor Gonzo and Drought buster,
What were your numbers? I agree, I would rather have 350rwhp that would last than 400-425rwhp that won't. Honestly, I'd like to have a blowoff valve set to blow off at anything over 8 or 10, but pulley the blower so it would make 8 or 10 lower in the rpm range. Ya know?
Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
HiPoLX said:
Honestly, I'd like to have a blowoff valve set to blow off at anything over 8 or 10, but pulley the blower so it would make 8 or 10 lower in the rpm range. Ya know?
You cannot do that on a MAF car. The by-pass (blow-off) valve needs to be plumbed back into the intake stream after the MAF sensor. It would be great to be able to pulley the supercharger to make a ton of boost down low and bleed it off but you would have to go to a DFI setup that does not use a MAF sensor to be able to do it.

Derrick

·
Registered
72 Posts
My ATI chip had a nice air/fuel curve but the timing was too high, 17 degrees. That caused it to detonate. I would recommend that you keep the timing lower than stock...some people go as low as 10-11.

I think you should also have money for a rebuild...just in case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
xxx

I have experimented with various blower pullies on the dyno and have seen as much as 16 psi with no challenges LOL. I currently have it pushing about 12 psi. Well see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
boost and engine longevity

Any time you run boost with out the proper forged compents you are running on borowed time. For what I have seen the limit for longevity on factory hyperutetic pistons is aroun 6-7 psi. If you start going 8 and above espicaly with out studs insted of the torque to yeald bolts. The factory pistons will not tollerate 8 psi and above. You might get away with it for a while with a good tune but you are living on borowed time and a ring land or rod will go. For a long engine espicaly if you are going to runing 8 psi boost I would recomend 8.5-1 compression ratio insted of 9.4-1 ratio. That is the reason why the new cobras is 8.5-1. I know that even with 6 psi boost I will eventiuly break a ring land on the week factory hyperutetic pistons.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The factory engines seem to hold up pretty good to intercooled boost. My engine went 37k miles with the 10# ati setup and a mail ordered LoRocca's chip that put it over 400rwhp. I did however have to replace the engine after it broke a ring, scared number 7 piston. But now with a reman ford engine and a new tune by a local tuner, They are only lasting 2000 miles, Im on my third reman, but only two passes, I think my problem is the 6800 rpm shift point. And Ive never boosted it without 99 octane race gas even though it was tuned on 91 octane. It seems that everyone has a differnt story here. I wish mine was a happy one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts