Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just wanted to know how much abuse these cars can handle.iam getting ready to buy a 95 gt with 54k on the clock for 10k.the only thing i know about this car is it's owned by a female,and yes it has mods and it has been maintained.I have seen this car in person and have talked to the owner and the car is extremely clean.should i worry about the car or just take a chance.i just don't want to buy a headache.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the 5.0 factory stock block is rated to handle 400 hp saftely, as far as the t-5 tranny goes, they could have done better, if i were you i would go with a tremmec 3550 or a t56

·
Registered
482 Posts
5.0's can take lots of abuse if kept well maintained.mine has 220,000 miles on the clock and still runs like the day i bought it except for being a little faster(haha).car is run at the track every year with np's.later

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had mine for three months and I have been beating it around like a retarded monkey and the car is holding up fine. It has about 100k on the clock. In your case I would recommend an inspection and test drive. Don't be ashamed to get on your hands and knees and look under it for leaks. Check fluids for smells and coloration (and amount) if they are low look again for a leak. Don't worry about hurting their feelings you are making a $10,000 decision. If you do have it inspected (should be a must) have them check the frame for straightness and if possible, a compression check. Look at the tread on the tires for abnormal tread wear and that may also indicate a wreck or just bad alignment. Look at the body panels from an angle for flaws. I found that the best way to find paint problems is to wash the car. Of course I usually own the car when I find the little problems. If you have any doubt about what I say go back to my first sentence and pity the man who buys my car without research. Get a carfax too!:evil:

·
Registered
898 Posts
s151doc said:
.mine has 220,000 miles on the clock
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now thats impressive, my original engine lasted untill 130k, i beat the living **** outta it. But the fact that the previous owner ran it low on oil one too many times caught up with me. If it had been maintained properly, it would still be around.......but then i wouldnt have had an excuse to put some money into it.:evil:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Keep a good tune and they will live LONG! My old 302HO that used to reside in my 86 had 190,000miles when I took it out and was running like the day I bought it when it had 52,000. That engine had all the origional parts including the water pump and alt. The car saw alot of street and abuse at the track . It ran 8.50's and 1.70's 60 ft all day long STOCK in the 1/8 even with all the miles. All I ever run was synthetic oil. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
205,000 on my origonal engine and it ran fine, now I keep it as a backup. The thing i worry about is if some overheated it or ran it low on oil. can't really check for those things but they will kill an engine. At least parts are relatively cheap:D

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I drove my 86 injected 5.0 like I hated it for years, then right about 155k, figured it was getting old, and may become unreliable, so I bought a 94 tbird for transportation and kept the 5.0 as back up.

the 6 cyl tbird blew 2 motor mounts, a head gasket, an alternator, water pump, and many more expensive things, the car sat for 9 months straight, during which I went back to my ol trusty 5.0 and drove it again like I had just stolen it and was running from a bank robbery.

9 months later, t bird fixed, dads toyota blow, 5.0 now has 180k, and dad is putting 1000 miles a week on it, with no signs of giving up.

This car should have quit on me long ago. While I never ran low on oil, always kept it topped off, I did go almost 30k without changing the oil, and after that, only changed it every 10000k.

You almost can't kill these things. Now the tranny is going in my "transportation" car, and I will have to steel the ol 5.0 back from my pops again, and hammer it hard again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine has 152,000 miles on it. Valve covers have never been off of it.

13.25 @ 101mph on motor.
12.47 @ 107mph on a 50 shot.

These things will run forever if taken care of. Change the oil regularly.

I think the biggest thing is people over revving them. Just because the indicated redline is almost 6000rpm doesn't mean you should run it up that high. All my times were run with shifts at 5000rpm indicated on the tach (about 5200rpm actual).

Alot of people I know who broke one, usually snapped a oil pump driveshaft or spun a bearing. Two things that can be caused by spinning the engine too high.

I wouldn't say I beat on mine. I do race it, but it's raced with care, and not just blind aggression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These cars can take alot man. i watched a buddy of mine redline his 92 lx at about 7 grand in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, then stop it and start it up fine. he told me he does it once and a while to "clean it out" the only problem he's had with it has been the tranny. other than that over 100k miles on it and it still runs like a champ even after getting the balls beaten off it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ran my old 93GT after 100s if not 1000s of times at the dragstrip. SOld it with 155K on the clock and she was still running strong. Took her out 3 days before I sold it and ran some 8.0s/84 in the 1/8. Good enough for some 12.70s in the 1/4, with stock heads and cam. She never had the VCs off and still had the original T5 AND clutch after millions of powershifts! That car made me a diehard FOX 5.0 fan!!:joy: I sold if cause somebody T-Boned it AND it needed a lot of work. She still had the factory struts, waterpump, alt, and starter. Was it the Redline tranny lube or the Mobile 1 oil? I don't know, but I continue to use both this very day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree these 5.0s are tough! I remember when I was in high school about 3 years ago me and my friends would go to the street races were the 76ers and the Eagles would play... One of my homeboys had a white GT 5 spd that he bought of a old man for 3 grand.....anyhow he found out the frame was cracked so he didnt want it anymore.....I guess he was mad because he put a lot of work into it...but I cant remember how it happned but most of the oil got drained and he didnt do anything to fix it...THE 302 STILL KEPT GOILG ON STRONG!! to this day I dont know if he has it anymore because our click wich consisted of a 98 trans am, 5.0 lx,5.o GT, 86 regal with a 403 olds (mine), 1990s blazer wit a bangN system and a 1996 eclipse turbo is no longer in operation.....however because of my friends ordeal with his stang convinced be to buy one a few years later.. :evil:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just put a novi 2000 on my 135k long block. I bought it with 98 thousand miles on it in 1998 and have dirven the piss out of it ever since. It's seen about 3 jugs of the giggle gas ran through it in the form of a real old NOS Wet (backfire) kit. I've only had to replace the waterpump and the alternator, and just yesterday while it was seeing about 12 pounds of boost at 5800 I got a little greedy and bounced it off my pms recalibrated 6500rpm rev limiter. Must be the mobile 1! I plan on trying to make over 600 ponies with the stock shortblock just as soon as my new shortblock is finished. Change the oil and don't let it get hot. OH, check the feul filter every now and again too.

Brandon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts