Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to get one, and i have noticed that several other people are wanting them as well. if anyone is interested, post up, and let me know. i was planning on getting one sometime this month, but if we can get a few people together, and you need some time, i'm in no hurry.:)

thanks,

brad

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've got one more interested party.:) if i can get 8+ people, i will send a formal letter to some reputable performance shops, and request a quote. if you have any suggestions, let me know.:)

thanks,

brad

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Let me tell you what you'll get. Five to eight people will respond and say they're in. You'll call around and get prices for a group purchase. Builder will tell you "at least five" for the deal. You come back and tell everyone how much and nobody will ante up any cash.

I ran a GP in November/December on shortblocks. Took $600 off my price and stated that we'd need five orders. Nobody bought a single one. I did, however, answer over 60 PM's and emails about it though.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Its going to be hard getting a GP for a shortblock, just as SD said alot of people WANT one but that doesnt mean they are all going to buy one. Right now i am in the market for a forged shortblock but i do not have the funds yet and do not know exactly when im going to get them either. So im not going to tell you i am interested because i want to buy one. Goodluck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am interested but need details on block and who is building. I am planning on building in feb., but if deal is good Jan it will be. Want numbers on block N/A and blown. Type of crank, pistons, rods,and rings etc.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sagres said:
I am interested but need details on block and who is building. I am planning on building in feb., but if deal is good Jan it will be. Want numbers on block N/A and blown. Type of crank, pistons, rods,and rings etc.
right now, i'm thinking houston performance. they are a reputable shop, especially in the modular industry, and they seem to have the best price. i will check and see if they would be willing to different setups, or just one setup in the group purchase. their shortblocks include, forged cobra crank, forged JE Pistons, forged Eagle rods, fully assembled in a 99/00 windsor block. (windsor blocks are supposed to be the stronger of the two) i know that i am going to be getting a low compression dished piston with mine, but i don't think that it will really matter if you want a flat top or dish, since they will buy the pistons from JE anyway. right now, without the group purchase, houston's shortblocks are $3,000.00, so hopefully we can get it deep in the $2K range. if you are interested for sure, then please post up.

thanks,

brad

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have spoken with Steve at Houston Performance, and it seems that the website is wrong, and the price is actually $3,300.00. he is checking to see where we will stand with a GP, and the prices that we will get with a given amount of people. i would deffinitely like to get as many as possible, but only if you are willing to commit to the purchase.

thanks again,

brad

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have also asked about the GP on heads and cams as well, so if anyone is interested in those, it could be a good deal for you as well.:)

brad

·
Registered
295 Posts
Depending on whom the shorblocks are thru and on the price I would be in on this... Im counting the days for my lower end head'n south.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i'm going to buy a short block at the end of this month, so if you can get a group purchaxe, that would be great. i'm also calling around to get prices on a short block. hope to hear something soon. thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tebone626 said:
i'm going to buy a short block at the end of this month, so if you can get a group purchaxe, that would be great. i'm also calling around to get prices on a short block. hope to hear something soon. thanks.
i've been doing some research, and unless you want an iron crank, $3,300.00 is about as cheap as it's going to get without a group purchase. this is also from a well-known and respected performance shop. as soon as they send me prices, i will list them.:) it sounds like you are in the same boat as i. i plan on buying one this month, but i will probably hold off and give everyone that's interested a chance to get in on a good deal. maybe we can get 10+ people together, and purchase one next month.:)

brad

·
Registered
588 Posts
the sooner the better, but if it is in the first part of feb, i can hold out. i'm fixing to order my turbo kit, so i will have alittle time. i have found a short block with cobra crank for $3100 through total performance. i didn't talk to him about a group purchase. he might be willing. thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is one for $2,999.95 from DSS.:) it has a forged 8-bolt crank, forged pistons, forged rods, new block, balanced, etc.

it would be best to find as many people as possible to commit to purchasing a shortblock for $3,000.00 (worst case scenario). this way, we have leverage. if we have leverage, then we can bargain with whomever we want to deal with.

given the circumstances, if you are willing and able to purchase a forged shortblock with the conditions listed above, then please pm me, so i can get a list going.

i figure that if we have at least 10+ people willing and able to do this, then we will have enough leverage to be able to get the price pretty low, and make everyone happy. if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post them or pm me about them as well.

thanks,

brad

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have been looking for one for a while as well. The Game is right a lot of people will say they are in but will never fork over the cash. Perhaps SD will still go a GP. He had a sweet deal, same as HP but 3200 instead.

Houston Performance is another option, however NOT TO START TROUBLE JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER I recieved two PM's from people regarding their HP built block and both said that they were having problems and they were not getting any customer service from HP. I want to get one cheap just like you but all I am saying is research your choice well.

PM me if you want and I will tell you what I know, trust me I read just about any MB all day long and have spent the past month either calling/e-mailing different shops about this and trying to sort out what is fact and what is fiction. I would like to help you organize this as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hell ya I am intereested. Need to know about shipping if inc. and how much time til see motor. I am probrably going to do tranny at the sametime so if you know of a good TKO sale let me know.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright, i talked to steve at houston performance, and it looks like we are looking at $3,100.00 for the built shortblock with JE pistons, Eagle H-Beam rods, Forged 8-Bolt Cobra Crank, balanced with ARP hardware, etc. all of this in a windsor block. i checked with dss, and their $2,995.00 price is only on a romeo block. the windsors are $3,300.00. he is supposed to get back with me on some other prices as well. here are the interested parties so far. if you are not on the list, and would like to be, please pm me.

thanks,

brad

interested parties:

1. myself
2. Sagres
3. tebone626
4. dhg1667
5. Peeweec5
6. Flowjack (from dfwstangs.net)
7. Got Boost (from dfwstangs.net)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DSS came back, and they are at the same price ($3,100.00) for the windsor shortblock, but they are cheaper on the Romeo, which isn't quite as strong.:) i'm still waiting on a couple of others, but it sounds like we will pretty much be able to choose who we want to work with.:) it looks like right now, we have seven whom are interested, and houston told me that if we can get 10+ that we can save even more. if you know anyone at all in need of a forged 4.6 bottom end, tell them about this thread. at the least, you could save them a few hundred dollars.:)

brad

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.