Ford Mustang Forums banner

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BREAK A CAM IN?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  oohwe306 
#1 ·
this weekend im going to install my fti custom cam, 54cc afr 165 heads, and my performer rpm intake. could anyone tell me how long the "cam break in period" is? is there a such thing? i mean i dont want to slap a cam and heads on my engine and smoke the tire out the drive way. what steps should i take before i see what my transformed car can do? :barf: im kind of excited can you tell!

:joy: :joy: FISHER PRICE: my 1st major mods!
:joy: :joy:

#2 ·
Roller cam, don't realy have to.
Flat tappet idle at no less than 1800 rpm till warm 10/ 20 min then shut it down till say next day and start from cold carefull not to idle for too long..

#3 ·
I just installed a very similar combo to yours. Have fun with it. Ed's combos fly! :) Yea, you dont need to break in a roller cam....just makle sure you install right, and dont advance it to much like I did:eek:

#4 ·
...rest of the story on flat tappet break in - if it's a more radical grind lift-wise, and needs strong springs to maintain tappet contact, break in should be done with weaker springs. The old 1800-2200 rpm for 20 minutes with weak (stock) springs, then remove break in springs and install stiffer ones. This is the most conservative approach - many get by without doing it. But if you've ever eaten lobes during break in, and you didn't follow this approach, the manufacturers will tell you you're on your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.