Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the proper priming tool from Autozone and was wondering how long you keep the drill spinning in reverse before you can say, OK, time to start her up......

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
The last thing you do prior to start up.

I don't believe you can prime too long.

I just initial primed mine. to make sure the pump was functioning. I ran the drill until oil was coming through the rocker arms.

Prior to start up, I'm gonna drill it for a while. Filter, lifter, and lifter galley fill.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I prime it untill I see oil coming up through the push rods, or the drill starts to smoke, which ever occurs first. ;) It is also a good idea to rotate the crank while priming to insure oil is getting to all the bearing surfaces.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
BigMike said:
Just makes it kindof a ***** to find TDC again for the distributor install if you rotate the crank.
Not really, just keep track of how much you move it and try to plan it so that you go 2 full revolutions and you'll be back where you started. You can also keep the plugs out so it'll turn easier and you can double check you are on the compression stroke at number 1.

As for priming, I like to see oil at all the rockers, then it's good to go.

As for cooking a drill. We smoked the 3/8" drill priming the 408, red hot and smoking! I guess dad gets a new drill for father's day now:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I primed mine until it ran through the rockers for a couple of secs. I didn't bother rotating the engine, but i liberally applied the breakin lube to all appropriate surfaces. 50,000 miles and no signs of problems so far. The milwaukee hole shooter we used to prime ours didn't even heat up. Man I love those tools, that things a monster. On a totally different note, don't use the cheap cork valve cover gaskets, they'll leak like crazy.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I primed with a 1/2HP drill till I had sustained oil pressure (mechanical gauge) for a minute. Then I rotated the motor by hand (at the crank) and reprimed this motor

(man, I love showing that motor) :lol:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice looking motor. Who do you get to host your photos?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts