Ford Mustang Forums banner

How long do starters last?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  fixer 
#1 ·
I thought my battery was dead, cause car would't start. Battery actually did check out bad, put new battery in and NOTHING! neighbor came over with volt meter and check out starter, seemed bad... he moved the cable around a little and it fired right up! he said my solenoid is going out.... So how long do starters last? Car has 62,000 on it. It starts up fine now, but I dont want to be somewhere and have it not start, so where can I find a good starter or can I just buy the solenoid? I don't need anything high power, just stock. Thanks!

#2 ·
No one can answer that - too many variables - certainly the heat in AZ will hasten its demise - you are in the ballpark, at the low side of service life IMO.

#4 ·
My '97 cobra with about 24k mi on it had the starter go bad. Pain in the ass to remove and reinstall. But it beat the $500 quote I got from the dealership. One other even quoted me $720. That is crazy in my opinion even though it took me quite awhile of laying on my back to get that damn thing out, part only cost $138. BTW - Cherokee Ford quoted a more reasonable charge for the job - $350.

#5 ·
Ive heard that it can have dead spots where it won't start, i think that's what happened to the solenoid it wasn't making contact till I bang on it with a small hammer and move the cables around a little...

#6 ·
I am having this same problem with mine right now. I was unfortunatly 1.5 hours from home when I noticed it. I was at the gas station getting ready for some sreet raing and no start!!!! I checked my clutch switch. Was working then the starter relay under the hood. All worked fine. I am guessing the starter is next on mu to check list. Hope it is it. I dread getting under there to fix it though!!! After an hour we finally pushed started it and went home (4 am). So I guess I will be crawling under there soon to figure it out!

#7 ·
The starter in my old 95 Cobra lasted over 100,000 miles before going out. That starter also nearly marred my record of never being left stranded by a Mustang. Thankfully, I had someone else to help me push start it and it fired right up and I drove it straight to the mechanic.

#8 ·
I always like to tell this story. My cobra would not start. Bought a starter. Could not get the old one off to save my life. Took car to Ford. They said the negative engine ground strap was loose so they tightened it. Ford Parts would not take the starter back so..... I have a nearly 300.00 Starter in my garage now and the fix only cost me 50 bucks. If anyone needs it PLEASE let me know.
Sad but true

#9 ·
fstcobra said:
he moved the cable around a little and it fired right up!
which cable, the battery or the starter cable?

if the battery cable, try cleaning the terminal ends of the cables. if its the starter cable he moved--i'd say tighten it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.