Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the front, there are 2 bolts coming up from the floor. The frame brackets sit over the bolts, and then a nut with a washer on it, bolts it all down.

What is holding the bolt to the under part of the floor? Is it welded?

I can grab the bolt coming through the floor and move it. Is this something I can fix? I dont have a welder.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hope you already have it out by now because its about the simplest thing to do. You already have the nuts off, now take out the seat by lifting it out.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I believe its just welded through the floorpan with a flat type nut thingy. Hard to explain but its basically a stud that the seat frame sits over with a nut thing on the undreside of the car, which i believe is welded. A muffler shop should be able to weld it back for you. Are you heavy? That takes its toll on the seat bolts because they are mounted to the thin floor sheetmetal. On my subframes the rears are bolted through the bracket.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
You really need a welder. The problem is the bolt comes through the back of a sheetmetal riser, and it's welded in place. The sheetmetal tears away from the riser and there you have it. Pull the carpet back from the front and side and you'll see what I mean. I fixed mine with a channel I formed of sheet steel and I had a neighbor weld mine it in for me. I've heard of at least one person using J-B Weld, but personally I'd find a guy with a welder to stitch the thing down in no time, and easy welding job once you have the piece formed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My car had the same problem and I simply gas welded the broken piece back into the floor. Since the weld is stronger than the sheetmetal I doubt it'll break again. Almost melted a few wires though so you definitely need to be careful when welding down there!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. Im going to take it up to a local shop tomorrow and have the guy weld it back, and while im at it, I may just have him weld the other one, along with the passenger seat bolts.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
If it's pulling there, it's flexing at the right rear too, a notoriously weak part of the floorpan. SO check for cracks there too, then it'd be a good idea to get some weld-in subframe connectors that tie into the seat mounts like Max Motorsports do. The seat will never move again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts