Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to track and i had my timing on 17degrees. I ran 101mph traps. The higher I would put it the faster it would get. Finally I got to the point that my distribitor hits the thermastat and it does not go higher. The timing is at ~23 with the spout out. I really dont understand how it can go that high with no problems but i pulled 105mph traps at that setting. Any ideas on why? should i even worry about it?

I'm thinking about pulling the distribitor out and stabbing it a little farther so I can get some more adjustment out of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well,

Maybe the damper has slipped and you are not seeing the right timing.

Or maybe your spout connector might be bad and what you are seeing is total timing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe it did slip. I guess I will restab the distribitor and continue to pick up the timing until it quits picking up speed are that it starts pinging

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you had your engine apart? Gudging from your mods you have. Was this recently? If so are you sure you installed your cam correctly? If you did and you have the stock balancer, I'd guess you spun your balancer like previously mentioned. Is your timing pointer fixed and definitely not an issue?
Our settups are fairly similar and I've run as much as 21* timing without a problem. Aluminum heads like more timing but you're stretching it so something has got to be amiss.

·
Registered
815 Posts
if you're running it without the spout connector in then you arent getting any other advance.. you're running 23 degrees to where if you set it around 16 and put the spout in you'de be getting around 28 degrees.... just depends on how you like it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the motor has been apart and I know my pointer is in the right spot. also I'm putting the spout back in, so I'm getting total timing out of it. I'll check today and make sure my spout isn't bad though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts