Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 65 289 block with a stock crank, shot-peened rods, and forged pistons. ARP bolts throughout. It's gonna be topped with some form or another of after market head. What is the highest I can safely rev this motor. Brad says it'll be fine to 7K........but Brad blows a lot of stuff up:D

7,000 rpm too much for a stock 65 289?

I need to know if I should get a solid flat tappet cam or a hydrolic. If I have to keep it under 6,500rpm I'll keep the hydrolic cam.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I ran a 289 for a few years, same bottom baically as you described with 12 to 1 comp with an automatic in the car i would run it up to 7500 all the time and to 8000 on occasions. After 4 seasons of abuse form track and light street use i sold the short block and the guy is still running it today, that was 3 years ago. I ran a solid roller in the 640 range.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to know.........anybody else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
With the arp hardware you will be fine to around 8000rpm like the other guy mentioned. The rod bolts are really the first issue here, and the aftermarket pistons also help lighten the assembly. The key reason why it will pull the rpms is because of the 28oz crank, so run the solid flat and shift at 7500 or so and have fun with it. Make sure you use a good sfi balancer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a 289 back in the mid eighty's that I spun up to 6800 RPM completely stock bottom end. I never had any problems out of it. I just wish we would have had the internet back then so I could have learned from others mistakes rather than learning from my own.
My machine shop told me 351 windsor heads were worth 50 hp on a 289. Yeah!! If the freakin CC isn't 74-76 cc's or whatever the hell it was. Aluminum dp intake, Crane Fireball cam with 306 degrees advertised duration and 2.75 gears. Thinking back now, I'd be willing to bet my compression ratio was 8-8.5 to 1 with that cam that should have had a minimun of 10.5 to 1.What a totally mismatched pig. I guess we all start out "green". Needless to say, I now know what "it's all in the combo" means....James

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read that above 7000 RPM things get more expensive for every 100 RPM. Stock engines shouldn't go over 7000. They just aren't expensive enough to do so safely.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanna see the stock tach peg :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts