Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to make it out to the track as soon as possible, but i have a couple of questions. with the combo in my sig. at what rpm do yo think i should shift? also what is the highest i can safely spin it. the engine has been rebuilt but the block,crank,and rods were reused. it has a 6000 rpm pill in it right now but i know it makes power past that. how much higher should i set the limiter at? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Rob

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm running stock crank/rods/pistons and recently saw 6400 on the dyno w/ no valve float. If you have stronger springs in there I'm sure it would be safe pretty well above 6K. You might try 62, then 63 and so on just to make sure nothing is going to break.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The stock crank and rods can easily take 7000 rpm and more. The thing you want to question is the oiling to them, which isn't much of an issue on a 302. I've seen 9000 rpm burnouts on 302s with stock rods and crank. As long as you have everything clearanced correctly and you have plently of oil pressure and volume, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
You will make the best times shifting at about 6500, maybe a tad under that. Any higher and you risk float and won't go faster anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts