Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never done it before.. I'm swapping my 96 T-45 out for a 99 T-45.. How hard is this and can anyone give me some direction? Not too mechanically inclined.. WILLING to learn!

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good gosh man, I need to know!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fairly easy.

You will start by removing the H-pipe. Once that is out of your way you will remove the driveshaft. (4 bolts 10mm I beleive)

Then you will remove the transmissiong crossmember bolts One on each side. Then two nuts in the middle, Leave teh bolts holding the trans up though.

Remove Starter 3 bolts top one is a pain to get to, but your car may not have three may only have two

Then just take out the bolts to the bellhouseing to engine ( 7 I think).

Once that is done make sure you unplugged speedo cable and the other cables, you will have to have removed the shifter as well from inside the car, Plastic pice pops off, then four small 8mm? bolts for sound dampiner then 4 shifter bolts.

Then you drop the tranny. (well lower it with a jack) Then put the new one in. I would assume the bell housings are the same but if your new trans doesnt have the bell housing you will have to swap those. Might as well change the clutch and rear main seal and all thos goodies while you have it down.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, he made it sound REALLY easy. The tranny will most likely have to be pulled off as there are two dowels (one on each side of the bellhousing) that seat the tranny. Also, it may be possible that your throw-out bearing is stuck on the input shaft.

Have a prybar ready.... as well as a friend. The T45 is a one-piece tranny (vs. the T5 which has a seperate bellhousing/tranny)... so it is akward and heavy.

The top bellhousing bolts will require several extensions to get the bolt out.

But some lube on the input shaft (tip and shaft) before installing the new tranny as it will help you TO bearing and pilot bearing.

Later,
John.

PS- If you tip the tranny too far back, fluid will come out the tailshaft... have a quart of fluid available as well as something to clean up the spilled fluid. I always leave the driveshaft in the tranny (but disconnected from the differential) so that the fluid doesn't come pouring out on me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
:D yeah I did make it sound really easy. It is quite a bit of work, Good point on leaving the driveshaft in wish I would have thoguht of that. It is a pain putting fluid back in. I ended up taking the shifter back off because the fill whole is so hard to get to.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey, this is Jason, if you need help with that give me a call, I've done it more times than I like to say between my car and Daves 4V.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nummys4.6 said:
Hey, this is Jason, if you need help with that give me a call, I've done it more times than I like to say between my car and Daves 4V.
Who?? Didn't know I knew you lol.. anyways.. Would it just be worth me paying one of my good friends $100 dollars to do.. He's the head mech. at our local ford and he's done this HUNDREDS of times.. he told me he'd swap them for $100.. THX again

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you jack up the front of the motor it makes it easer to get at the tranny bolts at the top. it really isnt that hard, except getting the top bolt on the starter. i did it for the first time about a month ago to put in a new clutch. only problem i had was that i put everything back together only to realize i put the throw out bearing in wrong!!!! had to take the whole thing apart . it is a pain in the a++ to beake the tranny free from the motor. mine was really stuck good it took three of us shaking the heck out of it to free it. good luck

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Desnudo01 said:

Who?? Didn't know I knew you lol.. anyways.. Would it just be worth me paying one of my good friends $100 dollars to do.. He's the head mech. at our local ford and he's done this HUNDREDS of times.. he told me he'd swap them for $100.. THX again
Yep, well worth $100 bones. If he's done is before, he'll know all the steps to get it out and back in quickly.

Tim

·
Registered
560 Posts
its not hard, but for 100 bones you can't beat that!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go for it! The hardest bolt to get of from me was the top bolt on the starter. It was a real PIA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
100 bucks is a good price, but if i was you i would do it just for the learning experience..... incase you ever want to change your clutch or something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ok, you made taking the T-45 out seem like it can be done in relatively few steps. I'm going to throw a twist in now. Once it's out, what has to be done to put a T-56 in there in it's place?

Lon

·
Registered
277 Posts
Will I? Or can I just get a Speedcal or something like that.

Lon

·
Registered
56 Posts
speedo will be fine, the 99 up tranny is identical except they moved the bell housing about 1/8th of an inch in diameter, it will be the same....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah but did they change the odometer to electric? If so wont he need a new dash? Forgot about that, cant remember if they changed it in 99 or 00.

As far as T-56 goes just new trans and bell housing and you would be able to run that I believe

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
re

So how exactly am I going to work the speedo since the 99+ are electric where-as mine uses the speedo gear.. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
495 Posts
The 99 and up have an electric speedo, but the speed sensor is gear driven and mounts in the same place on trans. So don't worry about it, just put your 96 stuff in it. The 96 up aren't cable anyway are they ??

Jason.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
As far as the T-56 you will need the tranny and bellhousing obviously. You need to shorten the driveshaft not sure the exact measurement it was like 3/4in-1in or so, you need a new tranny mount from a GM T-56 with the one bolt in the center instead of 2, and you will need a new crossmember if it is being done on a GT because it has to be moved back a few inches. Also the crossmember has to be modified for the new tranny mount since it has only one bolt. It is not hard at all though.

Lon if you need any help, or just want to check mine out let me know, im not far from you. You were actually in my area last week when you had your gears done in Hamden.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts