Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change mine because the oil plug is not coming out just spins. Need to replace the oil pan soon. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Anyway you look at it, it wont be a really easy job. But its not THAT difficult.

You could leave the motor in the car, but this would end up probably taking longer IMO than taking it out to do the job. Not to mention it would be more difficult to get the new pan gasket to seal properly.

If you want to leave it in there, you will have to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor as much as possible with a hoist. I'm not sure, but you may even have to unbolt the k-member and move it down some to be able to fish the pan out.

I would reccomend just taking the whole motor out to do it. If you've never done it before, its not that bad of a job. Most of the wiring will only go one place, so its hard to get mixed up on that part.

good luck with it,

-drew

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'd try again to get the plug out first...

Maybe use vice-grips and/or get a screw-driver under the bolt to put some pry-pressure on it while trying to back it out.

If you can get it out, they have over-sized, self-tapping plugs at most auto-parts stores. I just did this on my '86 with stripped pan threads - so far, so good.

Worth a try before going the other route! Good luck. Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts