Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's looking like the only way to get a fair price on having my AOD rebuilt is to remove & replace it myself. All the good trans guys just want to bench build it, but not do the back-breaking grunt work. (can't really blame `em!)

I've heard that the removal is pretty straight forward, but there's some trickier steps to be tended to come re-installation? Will I need any special tools for any adjustments or the like? Any tips in general?

·
Registered
458 Posts
No special tools. It will take a day without a lift, or half a day with one.

If your exhaust is rusty you will need to make provisions to cut it loose... When I need to do that, I use a sawzall to take it apart and some couplers to put it back together.

Be ready to install new bolts in your headers. Sometimes they break off..

--Ed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, Ed. I completely forgot about how the exhaust might be frozen solid together. Yuck. I could have swore someone said there was a special tool for adjusting something once the trans was put back in. Maybe it was for the kickdown?... I dunno.:confused:

·
Registered
458 Posts
There's some special tools that can be used to hook adjust TV pressure, but it's easy to do by feel. You shouldn't need to adjust it, but a little bit anyway. If you feel that the shifts are too soft, and coming in too early, you need to tighten the cable at the throttle body. If they're too hard, and too late, then cable needs to be loosened.

--Ed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ed! I appreciate the advice. I'm way less intimidated about it, now. I've pulled out the Torqueflites in several of my old Mopars, but have yet to do a FoMoCo automatic. I'll give it my best shot!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts