Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to put a 140 MPH cluster in an '88GT?

One of my friends did it to his '87LX, and he said it was a PITA!! he had to change all kinds of different wires around to get it to work right...

any ideas what has to be changed, and how hard it is to do in general? maybe even a tutorial webpage on how its done?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I can tell you one thing, absolutely no wires will have to be changed. It will plug right in. I don't know where your friend came up with that B.S. about switching a bunch of wires around?????

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StangLX302 said:
I can tell you one thing, absolutely no wires will have to be changed. It will plug right in. I don't know where your friend came up with that B.S. about switching a bunch of wires around?????
probably because his car was a junk-pile when he bought it. LOL

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have the old Motorsport 140mph speedo in mine and it uses the stock wires

the later gauges also should use the same harnesses

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 88, and I'm looking for a 140 from an 1989. Hard to find. The used parts guy told me that 140's from 1990 on have to be "customized" to make them look right. Has anyone installed a 140 from other than an 1989? How does it look? How much customizing?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second Childhood said:
I have an 88, and I'm looking for a 140 from an 1989. Hard to find. The used parts guy told me that 140's from 1990 on have to be "customized" to make them look right. Has anyone installed a 140 from other than an 1989? How does it look? How much customizing?
hmmm, makes me wonder now, anyone else know?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It only took me about an hour to change to the 140 speedo. I'm sure the wires he's talking about are the one's that connect the fog lights, hazzards, rear window defroster. Those take a little reaching to when taking them off, but they aren't that hard. Like everyone else said the only thing attached to the speedo is the speedo cable. As for a customized 1990+ I don't know, mine is from an '89.

~Matt~
'88 LX 5.0 full MM suspension, 3.55 gears, exhaust

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
A buddy of mine put a '92 140mph speedo in his '88. There was only a small gap in the bottom by the steering column. I didn't really even notice the gap until he pointed it out. Otherwise he said it bolts in the same as the others.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good to me guys!! :D

O0ne other question, is it possible to set the mileage on the new cluster the same as the old one?

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
This is a '93 140 speedo in an '88 cluster

Easier to do if you swap gauge faces. In fact, not including installing the cluster in the car, this took me 30 minutes to do.

The 90-93 cluster will bolt into an 87-89 car, but all the wires are switched and a PITA to rewire.

If you ever get your hands on a POS cluster from a 4-banger or something and you take it apart, you will see the speedo is seperate from the cluster and can be removed. If you look at the backside, you can see two screws that hole it on. Take the needle off and undo these screws. Now the speedo is seperate.

Take your gauges apart carfully and do the same with your 85MPH speedo and chuck it. You will see they both look identical (don't mix em up) Rebolt the 140MPH speedo in place and then peel the 85MPH face off since you will no longer need it. Now toss the speedo back into the cluster. You should have a complete cluster minus a gauge face for the 140MPH speedo.

3 things you can do

White face/Indiglo gauges like I did

See if Ford still sells an '89 140MPH gauge face

CAREFULLY peel the 140MPH face off the pld plastic frame and transfer it over. There will be a small area that is uncovered near the bottom (i'm talking half the size of a dime) but you can put something black over it and you will NEVER notice it.

And that is basically it. Any question, email me...i'f done this for friends a ton of times before

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mustang5L5 said:
This is a '93 140 speedo in an '88 cluster

Easier to do if you swap gauge faces. In fact, not including installing the cluster in the car, this took me 30 minutes to do.

The 90-93 cluster will bolt into an 87-89 car, but all the wires are switched and a PITA to rewire.

If you ever get your hands on a POS cluster from a 4-banger or something and you take it apart, you will see the speedo is seperate from the cluster and can be removed. If you look at the backside, you can see two screws that hole it on. Take the needle off and undo these screws. Now the speedo is seperate.

Take your gauges apart carfully and do the same with your 85MPH speedo and chuck it. You will see they both look identical (don't mix em up) Rebolt the 140MPH speedo in place and then peel the 85MPH face off since you will no longer need it. Now toss the speedo back into the cluster. You should have a complete cluster minus a gauge face for the 140MPH speedo.

3 things you can do

White face/Indiglo gauges like I did

See if Ford still sells an '89 140MPH gauge face

CAREFULLY peel the 140MPH face off the pld plastic frame and transfer it over. There will be a small area that is uncovered near the bottom (i'm talking half the size of a dime) but you can put something black over it and you will NEVER notice it.

And that is basically it. Any question, email me...i'f done this for friends a ton of times before

dammit!! now i find out!

ok, now that i bought the damn thing, does anyone have a wiring diagram on how the hell to re-wire it to get it to work right?

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
W.O.T. Stang said:

dammit!! now i find out!

ok, now that i bought the damn thing, does anyone have a wiring diagram on how the hell to re-wire it to get it to work right?
I think it's in the corral tech section actually.

But why don't you just pirate the speedo out of it and make it work? will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mustang5L5 said:

I think it's in the corral tech section actually.

But why don't you just pirate the speedo out of it and make it work? will be a lot easier.
I cant find one anywhere close... how do you do it the regular way? i havent taken the 85mph one out yet, but i was looking at the back of the 140mph one, and it looks like it has a spot for one electrical connector, and a bunch of little metal contacts for all the gauges and everything.

any ideas where to even begin?

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
W.O.T. Stang said:

any ideas where to even begin?
Of course!

There are no electrical connections on the speedo for the 85MPH and 140MPH speedo. Those connections just run the power to the light bulbs. I have some pics of the backside of my old 85MPH speedo if you want to see it so you know what to expect. When you pull the 140MPH cluster apart, you will find a mechanical "ball" attached to the plastic fram by 2 screws. Just remove the screws and the speedo comes out (after you remove the needle)

Next, do the same to your 85MPH cluster. Undo the frontside and pull the speedo section out. Unscrew the 2 screws and take the 85MPH core out and chuck it in the trash. Then just simply swap the 140MPH to the plastic frame the 85MPH speedo was attached to and you are all set. Carefully peel the 85MPH face off and get ALL of the glue off and then set it back into the cluster.

Now you need a gauge face. Either get a set of indiglos or white faces gauges, order a 140MPH face from an '89 or CAREFULLY peel the 140 face off the 90-93 cluster and transfer it to you cluster. There will be a small triangle not covered, but it iwll not be visible when you put the whole cluster together. If you want, you can paint or put some black tape over that part so the light won't shine through...but it will be hidden by the b;lack gauge frame.

If you want pics of my 85MPH speedo so you can see what the backside looks like, email me and i'll send it to ya. There are no electrical connections to it at all and it's a direct swap over.

PS....to match the milage, put a drill on the speedo cable. Just close the chuck on the tailshaft and crank away.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply!

thats the only way to do it?

So there is no way to use the whole 140mph cluster in place of the 85? because the 85 leaks light thru quite a bit, and the 140 just looks a whole lot cleaner, but im sure its a LOT of work, involving deciphering wires through the wiring schematic and all that fun stuff, right?

I'll have to take a look at it tonight.

feel free to send the picture of the cluster here

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
W.O.T. Stang said:
Thanks for the reply!

thats the only way to do it?

So there is no way to use the whole 140mph cluster in place of the 85? because the 85 leaks light thru quite a bit, and the 140 just looks a whole lot cleaner,
It's a LOT of work. I didn't even want to tackle it. I installed new white face gauges so i didn't worry much about that. My 85MPH cluster didn't leak light through at all so it might be something to do with your cluster. :confused:

If you want to rewire the 140MPH cluster to work...good luck! It's pretty much spaghetti surgery. Every wire will have to be cut and respliced. I took a look before and just said forget it and swapped the mechanical part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts