Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be ordering a set of Edelbrock performer heads (60289's) for my 90 LX. I'm also buying my friends TFS street heat intake. I'm gonna leave the cam stock for now and get some 1.7 rr's to give it a bit more lift........ How involved is it to do a head/intake swap? I have never done this before. It all seems pretty straight forward, but is it relatively easy? Is it something that can be done in a day or two with basic hand tools? My friend who is selling my the intake said he will help me if needed. He has done a head/intake swap on his car more than once.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
yea, a H/I swap isnt bad, plan for a good weekend if it's your first time, Intake is cake, maybe an hours, but heads you'll need a little more time... good luck

·
Registered
493 Posts
It can be done in a few hours. Its relatively simple if you know what your doing and have experience.

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
Its a lot easier than you may think. Keeping all the nuts and bolts seperate and labled is probably the only nerveracking thing th 1st time out. Most dificult part is getting the deck surface totally clean.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just a thought, but if it were me I would put a cam in since your going to have your intake and heads off. It is much easier to just throw one in now (if your planning one in the future) and not have to worry about pulling your intake off again. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It Depends on how Mechanically Talented you are. For some people its a 5 hour job, for some a nightmare.

Just make sure you have all the tools and that your not afraid to pull the distributer

·
Registered
97 Posts
The reason I don't want to get a cam as of now is because I heard they're a PIA to install with the motor in the car. I also need to pass emissions and don't want idle problems.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I recommend you watch someone do it before jumping in. Course I dont know how well you understand mechanics and if you can learn quick by reading manuals???

·
Registered
475 Posts
heads and intake is fairly straight forward...just make sure you label everything well if it's your first time. Cam's aren't too difficult to install w/ the engine in the car...you just need to remove the radiator to give you some more clearance..and possible jack the engine up a lil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
this is a very easy swap, make sure though you clean the block deck prior to putting the new head gaskets and heads on to ensure you get a good seal, if not you will be doing it again soon. make sure you label your wires, its simple but if it is your first time it can be a pain in the a$$, especially if you dont know what your doing. as far as the cam goes, there are a lot of cams that will allow you to comply with your local emission laws and give you a loppy idle but not to radical. i recommend the TFS stage 1 for your swap. lastly if you have any doubts about something when you get to it, come post it on the corral, this is the best place for advice, you get it quick and most people have run into the problem that you have prior to you, good luck!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Get some small bags, label everthing. Note every bolt & washer you remove.
It will make it SOoo much easier going back together. Surfaces MUST be cleaned really well. If it ain't clean, it ain't ready to reasemble. Remember, your head bolt-holes,.... Blow 'em out with a air gun. Chase the threads, blow them out again. Use a good TQ wrench. I TQ the head bolts three times. I wait 20 or 30 mins for the 2nd time. I run the car for a good heat cycle then pull & do 'em again. Take your time, it's not hard at all.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
There always seems to be that one little thing that goes wrong and the process takes ALL weekend.

Its definitly easier after watching someone yank a set of heads...you know what the logical steps are to completing the task afterwards. Maybe for the first time you should have someone help you that is experienced. All it takes is once, and you'll have it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thinking about it I had a good Ford mechanic friend do it the 1st time with me watching; handing him tools, cleaning parts, doing the grunt work. Second time I blew a head-gasket I did the work in a stall on a slow day at his shop.
He would walk over & check on my progress as the job wore on. THIRD time, I was doing it alone at home with no probs.
Now, I know that's probably the ideal way to learn but, if you simply take your time, ask as much as you want on here, you will get thru it just fine. Just don't put any type of time - frame on the job.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
You gotta learn sometime if you want to play, it'll get expensive after awhile you pay to have the work done.
I also recommend changing cams now, it's just a few things more to take apart; lifters, pull radiator(flush while it's out), pull water pump and timing chain cover together. TFS stage 1 cam, new timing chain and gasket and a Chilton's manual for a stang, probaly an extra 200 bucks but worth it.

Take your time, read the manual, ask for help(from somebody reliable) and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Like others have said, the actual procedure is straightforward, how easily you go through it depends on your ability. It's just a matter of identifying what will leak and draining appropriate fluids, finding all the parts that attach to the heads or will interfere with their removal, removing the valvecover (and pushrods in a pushrod motor), removing the bolts, taking the heads out, getting everything clean, then re-installing in the reverse order of removal.

The important things will be to have the mating surfaces CLEAN and bolts lubed and torqued properly.

If you don't feel like doing the cam now, then don't. It's not like you have to go through the entire job again just to swap the cam at a later time, nor is the stock cam liable to give you problems. Furthermore, it will be very helpful toward your understanding of performance enhancements if you do things one at a time to get an idea of what benefits you gain from one thing or another. If you install heads, cam, intake, headers, ignition, etc. all at once, what does that tell you about what the different cam did for you? Nothing at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,
I know this is an old thread, but I need some advice as to whether or not I should tackle a head and intake swap/install on my 94 GT.

I had myself psyched up to do it myself after reading threads like this and looking over various guides and shop manuals. It seemed straight forward until I learned about valve clearance, pushrod lengths and 0 lash on the roller rockers. Checking for piston to valve clearance seems like a very involved procedure, and one that would actually need some previous experience to get right.

I'm going to be installing a clutch quadrant myself, going to try to get a coilover setup right myself, and have done maintenance work, but that's about it. Far cry from heads.
Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
its easy i just did a heads and intake on my truck. i had a bike wreck a few years ago and i have forgot alot of things and it was still easy. u just need to make sure the head dowls are in and the push rods are the right size.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts